Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RomanS Text font in Revit

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
WheelerCJ
19558 Views, 16 Replies

RomanS Text font in Revit

Hi,

Company standard is arial which works perfectly in Revit but for a specific project we need to use RomanS. it all looks OK on screen but it plot both on paper and pdf very very faint. As a temporary measure we are using RomanD which isn't right but it's the closest looking and plots a lot bolder.

Changing the lineweight setting in the settings for the text style doesn't help nor does making it bold. On the pdf if I zoom in really close it seems the text is hollow in the middle.

Any ideas for how I can make RomanS plot like it would do in Autocad?

Thanks again for the help on this great forum.

I found this image in a discussion from years ago which might help explain what I mean.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: WheelerCJ

RomanS has been notorious for being nigh unplottable for some time and as far as I have found, that hasn't changed. The best you can do to combat this is to make the entire Romans Text Type bold. Even so, though, the results may be highly unacceptable. This font is our company standard, but we must use Arial instead.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 17
WheelerCJ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your reply.

Yes this does seem to be the came which is just rubbish. The client want and use RomanS but because Revit can't display we have to use Arial which displays rather well.

Message 4 of 17
CoreyDaun

I believe the reason that is plots so poorly is that RomanS is a "stick" font, and the weight of the lines is assigned by color (or whatever) in AutoCAD to make it display darker. Revit has no such capability of assigned a thicker width to these text lines as Revit does not function like that, and shows the text in it's base form.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 17
Diegas

People,

passed 4 years since this treat was called solved (but, in the end, it didn´t go exactly solved), has anyone solved how to edit in Revit the RomanS font's thickness?

Thank´s, Yaal!

Message 6 of 17
Jrobker
in reply to: Diegas

Try this TTF replica. I haven't used it but I've heard it works.

Set the font to bold for it to print dark.

I had to change the extension to JPG for it to attach to this forum. When you download it just change the extension back to TTF.

Good luck.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 7 of 17
Diegas
in reply to: Jrobker

Thanks a lot, Jrobker!!!

But I already have the RomanS.ttf, which makes me in the same place Wheeler CJ was in the beginning of the threat.

The .ttf font works, but it realy stays very thin. If you put it bold, it thckens a little bit, more like joining two hairlines together.

I read in other forums that they made a substitute font for this problem, called DIALA.

They said it contains 5 diffrent thickness, so you can ajust as you wish.

It is available at apps.exchange.autodesk.com for U$99,90 purchase, so I didn´t by it.

It´s available for free in the web, but here in my company I can´t enter download sites.

Also, I´m not gonna make everyone in the firm to install an other font, so I´ll have to adapt to what´s installed aready.

RomanS bold, and RomanD simple and bold are solving my problem for now.

If anyone tests this DIALA font, please, let us know if it´s worth it!

Message 8 of 17
bbarkman

Try RomanS_IV25 or RomanS_IV50.  Both are truetype fonts and are installed with AutoCAD and Revit.

Message 9 of 17
jkaster
in reply to: bbarkman

how do I find RomanS_IV25 or RomanS_IV50 fonts?

Message 10 of 17
mmckinney
in reply to: jkaster

Well after much frustration, I solved this issue!

I believe the problem is when Revit tries to go from the .TTF font filetype to the .SHX, something messes up in the process.

After you export from Revit to AutoCAD, take a look at the properties of your text. They will have the style of RomanS, which appears to be correctly linked to the romans.shx file (under annotation -> manage text styles).

Instead of using ANY text style exported from Revit, I used just the Standard text style loaded into AutoCAD and changed the font name associated with the Standard text style to romans.shx

Next, I isolated my text layers and changed their style from RomanS to Standard. Now the text looks perfect and can be controlled via ctb/stb files and lineweights.

Little bit of leg-work post export in CAD to do this, but I'm hoping to write a LISP routine to do this for me.

Hope this helps anyone else plagued by this issue 🙂

Message 11 of 17
dhannon

Hello Diegas

Wondering if anyone ever responded to you about this issue? I work as a Drawing Office  Manager for a small to medium sized SE company using both Revit and CAD. It would make my life massively easier if Autodesk could come up with a Roman S solution in Revit so the drawings produced in both packages didn't diifer so much?

Tried using Arial text in CAD as a work around, but the text can sometimes turn bold. Would really appreciate a Revit compatible Roman S font.

Danny 

Message 12 of 17
bbarkman
in reply to: dhannon

Danny,

These days when an Autodesk product like AutoCAD or Revit gets installed
there are a few new Windows TrueType fonts that are included: RomanS IV25
and RomanS IV50, among others. Either one of those should work well in
Revit. According to the Internet IV50 is slightly thicker, but I can't
really tell the difference.

If you're 'married' to RomanS in the AutoCAD environment, *and* you're
exporting to DWG from Revit, make sure you set the export mapping in Revit
so that RomanS IV50 is converted to RomanS upon export. That way you won't
have to change the text style on the AutoCAD side back to RomanS to please
the AutoCAD users.

The problem is, RomanS is not a font; it's a shape file made for AutoCAD
only. Revit only uses TrueType fonts. To compound the problem, we're
sometimes forced to adhere to AutoCAD settings ahead of Revit. The new TTF
fonts should bridge this gap. And I think you might notice that the other
shape files used in AutoCAD (txt.shx, simplex.shx, the other Roman ones,
etc.) now have a TrueType version.

Hope this helps.
Message 13 of 17
ToanDN

@dhannon wrote:

Hello Diegas

Wondering if anyone ever responded to you about this issue? I work as a Drawing Office  Manager for a small to medium sized SE company using both Revit and CAD. It would make my life massively easier if Autodesk could come up with a Roman S solution in Revit so the drawings produced in both packages didn't diifer so much?

Tried using Arial text in CAD as a work around, but the text can sometimes turn bold. Would really appreciate a Revit compatible Roman S font.

Danny 

Are you interested in fixing that?

Message 14 of 17
dhannon

Thank you bbarkman,

Is Roman S IV50 a new font? I'm currently working on Revit 2018 due to an ongoing project, and  I can't find the font in Revit's database?

Thank you

Danny

Message 15 of 17
bbarkman

It's been around for a few releases. I think it might come from the
AutoCAD install.
Message 16 of 17
dhannon

I'm sorry to be dense bbarkman but how do I download the Roman S IV50 font? Is there a link I need to follow? I can't find it anywhere online?

Thank you,

Danny

Message 17 of 17
bbarkman

All I know is whenever Revit gets installed is that it's available in the
list of fonts when applying to a text type, etc. It may depend on the
release but over the last five or six it's been there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report