Revit MEP

Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 1 of 19 (2,288 Views)

Revit UK Electrical Content - Trunking

2288 Views, 18 Replies
12-10-2012 10:15 AM

As a long term AutoCAD and AutoCAD MEP user (UK based), I am trying to persuade myself to move across to Revit MEP. Now I know there are loads of requests on here and other forums for better UK content and I have to agree, however, due to the nature of my work most of what I would need to draw would require custom content anyway. 

But, please please someone help me with trunking - I am amazed that this is not included and after quite a lot of searching I don't seem to be able to find any online. 

Any help would be much appreciated. This is probably the main thing holding me back on making the jump. 

Active Contributor
tim.winnington
Message 2 of 19 (2,272 Views)

Re: Revit UK Electrical Content - Trunking

12-10-2012 02:21 PM in reply to: andymp2000

Conduit is circular as are the connectors available within the category, from what I have found so far.  For rectangular trunking you can use cable tray which is similar to duct and comes in as an enclosed box.  You are then able to set up a type for trunking to allow differentiation between cable tray and trunking

Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 3 of 19 (2,269 Views)

12-10-2012 02:40 PM in reply to: andymp2000
Tim.

As an electrician myself, I know the differences between conduit/tray/trunking very well. The problem with using tray in Revit is that when you switch to 'fine' detail, it is obviously not trunking. The type of fittings (pre-fabricated bends) typically used in the UK for trunking are different to that used with tray and/or basket.

AutoCAD MEP has trunking (called raceways) but the lack of such a widely used product in the UK is a real disadvantage.

This is something that Autodesk UK should address urgently (along with the overall general lack of UK electrical content).

There must be other UK users that have come up against this problem and found a solution? Please!
Active Contributor
tim.winnington
Message 4 of 19 (2,260 Views)

12-10-2012 03:53 PM in reply to: andymp2000

Found this site

http://www.monosystems.com/

They have raceways which have been built as electrical equipment and are built as imperial but may give you a start

Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 5 of 19 (2,238 Views)

12-11-2012 03:19 AM in reply to: tim.winnington

Thanks for that Tim - not bad, but not quite what I am after.

From what I have read, the trays/baskets etc are system families and cannot be edited, I suppose I could create a new 'type' and somehow limit the view of this type to be 'medium detail' only, the graphical representation then looks like trunking.

Anyone??

Active Contributor
DMaurer-Veca
Message 6 of 19 (2,223 Views)

12-11-2012 08:19 AM in reply to: andymp2000

Although I have many years of experience in the electrical industry, I am not familiar with your term 'trunking'. Could you elaborate? 

Diane M
Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 7 of 19 (2,220 Views)

12-11-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: andymp2000

standard_trunking.jpg

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 8 of 19 (2,008 Views)

04-11-2013 08:48 AM in reply to: andymp2000

How did you get on Andy, I see no one answered you after this post.

I've been saying that there is no UK content in AutoCAD MEP for years and it would seem that there is none in Revit either.

Cheers

Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 9 of 19 (2,003 Views)

04-11-2013 09:01 AM in reply to: alan.skipper

Nothing Alan - still having to use tray and tag it accordingly.

To be honest, still struggling to make the switch from AutoCAD MEP to Revit...

I am not too bothered about general electrical content, as most things can be downloaded/modified or created from scratch, but the trunking thing really gets me annoyed!

Is there anyone from Autodesk listening to your UK users?!?!?

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 10 of 19 (1,992 Views)

04-12-2013 12:26 AM in reply to: andymp2000

I'm left wondering how the large UK companies manage? I understand that they have teams of programmers re writing the software?

I'm just a one man band who caters for a number of small electrical contractors that do not have their own drawing offices. I am an an electrical engineer not a software writer.

When I spend a few thousand pounds and then 7-8 hundred pounds every year on something I expect it to do at least the basics with UK content (since that how it is sold).

Fortunately (although I have AutoCAD MEP) 3D models are not a major part of my work so I generally use it in it's AutoCAD form.

The majority of my work is to produce paper working drawings which the electrician will take on to site, nail it to the wall and then install from it; I've yet to see an electrician with a laptop in his tool box looking at 3D models.

I haven't decent paper drawings produced from MEP.

Cheers

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.