Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit System- Plumbing Isometric Drawings

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
6185 Views, 9 Replies

Revit System- Plumbing Isometric Drawings

For Revit System users doing plumbing. How are you creating isometric drawings. Are you creating the diagrams with the drafting tools in Revit, using ABS, or just plain cad and importing into Revit. I tried ABS, but in order to import the isometric into Revit you need to explode the drawing, which makes the isometric drawing unusable.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Anyone using Revit System for plumbing?
Message 3 of 10
jmabrey

As far as I know, you can't do isometric (dimensioned) drawings in Revit Systems.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Does anyone knows of a way to import isometric drawings from ABS?
Message 5 of 10
srosen

True, however after modeling sanitary, vent, DCW & DHW piping you can use filtering in View Properties to create a 3D view that will yield an isometric view, although not quite the traditional 2D schematic. Please see the attached screenshot.
Message 6 of 10
Martin__Schmid

Hi terrac--

Why would you want to import the isometric dwg files? If it is simply to place them on a sheet in Revit to plot, and you're not sharing your model, and your projects will remain relatively small (i.e., one or two imported dwg 'details), then OK. However, when you start to import DWG geometry, and leave it in your model permanently, the file size starts to bloat and perform poorer.

My recommendation is to create/plot sheets of DWG based geometry on the Acad/ABS side. I've heard stories of folks importing dozens of sheets worth of Acad data to create Revit sheets, just for plotting, then wondering why their Revit Systems model was slow.

HTH,
Martin Schmid, P.E.
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

The reason for importing is because the sheet containing the isometric sometimes contains other information which is derived from the model. We have been doing what you suggest, I was just wondering it there was a way to import the isometric, and then convert it to detail lines. It is not BIM, but would have to do for now.
Srosen's post from Aug 28th on this thread looks interesting, when I get some free time, I will try to see how it works for us.
Thanks for the reply
Message 8 of 10
Martin__Schmid

I would suspect that over time we will begin to see 3D views of models being annotated and submitted as code acceptable design documentation. 3D drawings can be much more information rich than flat risers and iso's. Just make sure you get buy-in from your code-reviewer/AHJ if you plan on submitting something that is clearly different from convention. Until then, plumbing systems will be shown in plan that are abstractions of reality, and risers will be provided to appease code reviewers. But..plumbing systems in most buildings have been designed and installed that way, and seem to work OK :).

Cheers-
Martin Schmid, P.E.
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
maroneydl_VDDS_FED

I am interested in how you applied the different line patterning for each piping system (sanitary, vent, DCW & DHW) in the 3D view or possibly other views since piping is all contained under one category called PIPES.
Message 10 of 10
srosen

In the Visibility/Graphic Overrides dialog, create a filter for the pipe service; i.e. Sanitary. That filter name will now appear as a line item. Select Override under Line Style and in the Select Line Style dialog, select the radio button By Category. You may then select the Line Weight/Color & Pattern.
HTH,
Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report