Revit MEP

Femcadder
Message 1 of 20 (74 Views)

Revit Research

74 Views, 19 Replies
03-20-2007 12:44 PM
We are drafting with stone and chisel here. Currently using Softdesk 8. We only will be in 2D and are HVAC, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical (as far as controls are concerned).
We want to upgrade to the latest and greatest (STILL 2D) ADesk. Is that going to be Revit MEP?
Is this where I would post and read about MEP?

THANKS
Fem
Distinguished Contributor
jayspot
Message 2 of 20 (74 Views)

Re: Revit Research

03-20-2007 02:00 PM in reply to: Femcadder
Revit is 3D so it wouldn't do you much good if you only draw 2D objects. I'd say the latest version of AutoCAD would be your best bet.
Femcadder
Message 3 of 20 (74 Views)

03-20-2007 02:06 PM in reply to: Femcadder
I forgot to mention what Softdesk is. It is an add on that has all the piping, fittings, equip, ducts, blah blah blah, already in it and quick. (Softdesk is no longer)

Would it make sense to stay in ACAD and get an add on? If so, help, which one?

THANKS

Fem
*Poster
Message 4 of 20 (74 Views)

03-20-2007 05:17 PM in reply to: Femcadder
I would just stay with what you have. How many more years do you have until
you retire? Any other software will require thought, effort and learning
something new. It does not look like you want to invest in any of that.

Come to think of it, just whip out that drafting table. It would probably
work the best for you. :smileywink:

wrote in message news:5525099@discussion.autodesk.com...
I forgot to mention what Softdesk is. It is an add on that has all the
piping, fittings, equip, ducts, blah blah blah, already in it and quick.
(Softdesk is no longer)

Would it make sense to stay in ACAD and get an add on? If so, help, which
one?

THANKS

Fem
Femcadder
Message 5 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 05:10 AM in reply to: Femcadder
You are killing me! *smirk*

I come from 3D in manufacturing/mechanical engineering. (I have worked on stuff that have gone into space!)

I am now in MEP. Seems all the Architects we work with are also in 2D.

We really need to look into something, just wondering what that will be. ACAD LT 08 and an add on?

Fem

PS I have a good 30 plus years until retirement.... ;P
jayspot
Message 6 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 06:05 AM in reply to: Femcadder
I guess the real question is what do you want the software to do? What type of "add on" are you talking about? Maybe explain what a typical drawing would consist of so we have a better idea about what you do.
Femcadder
Message 7 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 06:16 AM in reply to: Femcadder
Ah, sorry 'bout that, this is new to me.

We put in HVAC ducts and equip, plumbing for both HVAC and well, plumbing. The electric for the equipment, so basically the controls. And also sprinkler systems.

We xref in the Architects 2D drawnings (different companies, different software).

Sometimes is is just schematics, and 1 line stuff, sometimes it is more detailed but still just 2 line stuff. We are usually just looking down into a floorplan, but sometimes will look into a room from the side.

Pretty basic, but it is nice because now we have R14 with an add in called Softdesk that has library blocks that will come right in. It is all pretty quick.

The purpose of upgrading isn't because what we have now doesn't work, it does and does it well. We are looking to upgrade because it is becomeing more and more difficult to find support and also to convert from the architech's stuff.

We really like the thought of ACAD LT 2008, but can't run it plain. We are looking for something to help, with out going overboard. Any thoughts? Looking at Mech Q maybe?

*sigh*

THANKS for the input!

Fem
*Wanderer
Message 8 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 06:26 AM in reply to: Femcadder
As a Facility Manager, I have to note...
all of our MEP contractors are using full AutoCAD (04-07). Our
architects are using ADT (autocad architecture... their custom objects
are the biggest pain in my tushie).

They just take their block library and make a tool palette out of us and
drag and drop the same symbols/blocks they've been using since r14.

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

Femcadder wrote:
> Ah, sorry 'bout that, this is new to me.
>
> We put in HVAC ducts and equip, plumbing for both HVAC and well, plumbing. The electric for the equipment, so basically the controls. And also sprinkler systems.
>
> We xref in the Architects 2D drawnings (different companies, different software).
>
> Sometimes is is just schematics, and 1 line stuff, sometimes it is more detailed but still just 2 line stuff. We are usually just looking down into a floorplan, but sometimes will look into a room from the side.
>
> Pretty basic, but it is nice because now we have R14 with an add in called Softdesk that has library blocks that will come right in. It is all pretty quick.
>
> The purpose of upgrading isn't because what we have now doesn't work, it does and does it well. We are looking to upgrade because it is becomeing more and more difficult to find support and also to convert from the architech's stuff.
>
> We really like the thought of ACAD LT 2008, but can't run it plain. We are looking for something to help, with out going overboard. Any thoughts? Looking at Mech Q maybe?
>
> *sigh*
>
> THANKS for the input!
>
> Fem
Reza001
Message 9 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 07:01 AM in reply to: Femcadder
You need to make sure that your Architect is using Revit Building for doing their Architectural work. Then you need to do your MEP Work in Revit Systems.

Simply;
Architect work in BIM = Revit Building
MEP Work in BIM = Revit Systems
unjust
Message 10 of 20 (74 Views)

03-21-2007 07:52 AM in reply to: Femcadder
from the sounds of things you want to be running ACAD LT probably 2007 although there are some AEC object issues with prior versions.
from there you could use any of the mfg provided blocks for details, and run with line drawings.

depending on the # of seats you have one seat of full ACAD will give you access to the AECTOACAD command to remove the AEC issues and give you more power to tidy up incoming xrefs.

if you want to go 3D revit is the way to go, however it still has some issues in the MEP areas, and Revit is not as widely used by architects (yet) autodesk building systems may be something else to look into.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.