Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit model changes by architect

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
alanvreeland
325 Views, 5 Replies

Revit model changes by architect

We are doing the electrical design of a large hospital addition. The Revit model has been created by a local architect with the input of an outside hospital architect. Now it has been decided that the local architect will finish the site and shell of the building on one model, and the outside architect will create the interior space Revit model. The mechanical engineer on the job has said that will make all of their work that they have already done loose its association because the model changes. If that is true, the electrical work we have done so far will also have that problem. Does this sound true? Is there a fix for this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: alanvreeland

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Unfortunately, you are going to lose some association. If the linked model is going to be split into two separate files, you can retain the hosting of your elements for one of the linked files (probably the interior model) by going to Manage Link and using "Reload From..." to specify the new interior model. Everything that was hosted to elements that belong to Walls or other elements that are no longer present will become orphaned. You can use the Reconcile Hosting tool on the Collaborate tab to help correct this once the 'shell' model is linked in.

I did perform a test: I recreated your situation, opened the interior Project and linked in the shell model as an Attachment. But, this did not work - the elements in the MEP model did not recognize this as the same host element, and thus lost their associativity.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
travis

I might be wrong but would it be possible for the model that the local architect created be able to be shared with the outside architect?  This way you would not lose allot of the association you have with the elements in the file already?

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: travis

That's a good thought, but since the host elements will be removed and then reattached as a separate link, the association will be broken. In my test, I created a single Architectural Model, then linked it into a new MEP Model, and hosted several Receptacles to every Wall. I then opened the Architectural Model, did a SaveAs and removed the interior Walls to create the "shell" model, so they were the exact same Walls as in the original file. But alas...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
travis

It was a thought.  Would have been nice if it worked.

Message 6 of 6
alanvreeland

Thanks for the input. I was hoping there was something built into Revit that would help with that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report