Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Web Update #3 Released

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
KyleB_Autodesk
521 Views, 28 Replies

Revit MEP Web Update #3 Released

Revit MEPers,
I wanted to everybody know that we've released Revit MEP 2008 Web Update #3 on our website. You can find it at www.autodesk.com/revitmep-download

Go get it!

Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/ Message was edited by: Kyle B [Autodesk]

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Hi there, Kyle.
I didn't install Web Update 2 (WU2) - should I install it before installing Web Update 3?
Actually I had some trouble installing WU2, as my PC took hours doing it, just to get stuck somewhere during installation... I had Revit MEP 2008 removed before going to WU2, and I had to install the DVD version again.
Any recommendation before installing WU3?

PS: Keep up the good work!
Message 3 of 29

No, the Web Updates are cumulative, meaning they have all changes included.

Most likely the "hang" you saw last time was the Content Download. The installer downloads additional content for Revit during installation, and it can appear to hang. You can choose not to install it in the Configuration Options.

Hope that Helps,
Kyle B
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous

Does the Web Update #3 have the new content extension already included , or do we still need to add it separately?

Thanks,
John

wrote in message news:5779700@discussion.autodesk.com...
No, the Web Updates are cumulative, meaning they have all changes included.

Most likely the "hang" you saw last time was the Content Download. The installer downloads additional content for Revit during
installation, and it can appear to hang. You can choose not to install it in the Configuration Options.

Hope that Helps,
Kyle B
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/
Message 5 of 29

You need to add it separately.

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 29
Jarom05

Ok I went to the address that you posted for the WU3, but it looks the same as WU2, infact it shows that I had already visited the links. Can Autodesk at least label the web updates accordingly? Do I even know that the page you posted is web update 3?
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous

I agree it is impossible to tell which WU is on the page. The .exe has the correct name.
Message 8 of 29

Great to see that there is active development, and I hope it continues. However I have to comment on the "upgrade" process. To un-install the product and re-install takes approx 2 hours. I would not mind, but now multiply times 40 seats. I now have 80 hours of time to get Revit upgraded (ok, a lot is un-monitored but you get the point, and it is lost production time). I have read before that Revit feels the full install better ensures a stable update, but managing multiple seats with three updates in 6 months means a LOT of time spent managing the product. Surly there is a better way to update Revit.
Message 9 of 29

Are you using a deployment to install on all the users machines?

Are you choosing to download and install the content for each individual installation?

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 29
Jarom05

I totally agree with jetter, I only download once, save to the network and then install an each station, however it take me a bit less than 2 hour per seat, it still takes quite awhile to unistall and then to reinstall, then setup our standards, and repath to our network for content.
Message 11 of 29

Copy the content up to your network and uncheck the install content box in the deployment.

Then set the content paths in the deployment. Message was edited by: jcookatl
Message 12 of 29

Ok, I see where you are going with this. I really haven't looked at the Deployment methods yet. It appears that I would need to create one for both 32/64 OS, since the install path would normally be different. By skipping the content the install time drops to 15 minuets (and can be with the depoyment silent).

I presume that even when doing a deployment install on client you would first have to manually un-install the existing version?

I also presume that you will have to manually remove any existing content structure before creating the initial deployment (or the new/old content would be mixed)?

Thanks for pointing me in the righ direction,
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous

No problem. Sorry about the other username above, seems that my AU login created a username here too.

What I did was do a full local installation on a machine and then copy all the content up to your share space on the network. Then create the deployment pointing to that path & skip content installation. Uninstall MEP from the machine, remove any content and reinstall from the deployment. After that just run the deployment on each machine and your deployment time just dropped significantly.

When I get content drops I just add it to my network share space manually.

I think Autodesk wants us to uninstall previous versions before doing these web updates? Since I only have 3 machines running MEP thats what I have been doing.
Message 14 of 29

The web updates won't install without first removing the prior version, but uninstall only removes the ...\program files\ info, not the content. Since they have been changing the structure of the content you have to manually remove the content before the update.

Any issue with uninstall/reinstall and or deployment and activation? I would hate to have to re-active all my stations all over again. It appears that some licensing info is stored in the content folder. If I remove the entire path including these files (REVSYP2008ENURegInfo.html and .xml) will my activation go south?
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous

You need to set up an LM Server and point your deployment to it instead of handling each workstation's licensing individually. Remember the more you can automate your deployment, content & licensing the less work you have to do.
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous

Kyle,

Autodesk mentions that more Valves have been added etc. I go into the valves families and still only 3 show. Which leads to the next question.

Does Autodesk have a DWF file or PDF file any type of file that is printable where we can see all the families for Revit MEP? I would like to print a binder out of all the content that way I can better compare what content needs to be created.

It was said that 300+ new families have been created is this true? I want to save myself time from laoding each family and making a index print, if ADSK has already done this.

thanks
Message 17 of 29
MBCAD

Does Revit MEP need to be installed prior to the Web Updates or are the Web Updates the entire program?

Thanks.
Message 18 of 29

Web Updates are the entire program.

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 29

I install the webupdate and the extract the content downloaded from the zip files, to find out that the extra valves did not get copied over to documents and settings etc.

So I wonder what else did not get copied? I now have to go in and manually look at each folder and compare them to the content downloads and then make a DVD with all content so I do this on all machines,

is autodesk aware that the content install from the zip files does not install properly?
Message 20 of 29
Anonymous

why aren't you using a library of objects thats on a network, so you can
update them once and each computer can "see" them, rather than a separate
library on every machine?

wrote in message news:5812867@discussion.autodesk.com...
I install the webupdate and the extract the content downloaded from the zip
files, to find out that the extra valves did not get copied over to
documents and settings etc.

So I wonder what else did not get copied? I now have to go in and manually
look at each folder and compare them to the content downloads and then make
a DVD with all content so I do this on all machines,

is autodesk aware that the content install from the zip files does not
install properly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report