Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Pipe Materials

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PORTER
7788 Views, 5 Replies

Revit MEP Pipe Materials

Here's a rookie question...
I'm working with hvac equipment and must connect copper pipe for chilled and hot water, and pvc pipe for sanitary drain.
The Object Styles dialog (MEP2010) only has one setting for "Pipes" which can be set to use copper for material. When I do this, all pipes viewed in 3D are copper, including the sanitary pipes.
Is there any way to create separate style category entries that allow each piping system to use its own material for rendering?
What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jrobker
in reply to: PORTER

For rendering purposes
The different materials that you can assign to the types do not render or show that way.
You cannot apply a subcatagory to a pipe system.
You cannot add a material parameter and assign that to a pipe system.

Your only option is to paint the pipe.
Each run of pipe has 4 quadrants and can be tedious.

There is a workaround (as usual) if you have the time.

If you do not want to render, but just use colors
You can create filters to acheive this.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 6
PORTER

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I thought.
I created the attached rendering by creating separate "copper" and "pvc" pipe types. I also made copies of the generic pipe fittings for copper and assigned material at the family level. However, I could not find a way to do that for the pipe. I had hoped there was a way to create different pipe systems with different material assignments. You are correct, I could paint the pipe for the sanitary before rendering...
Maybe this is one for the "wish list".
Ron
Message 4 of 6
Mattmoot

I realise this is a little late to reply, but another work around is to apply a thin insulation thickness to the pipe. Insulation under the object styles can be assigned a different material. 

Message 5 of 6
Jrobker
in reply to: Mattmoot

Never too late to reply. Always add information to a post. 

Now that we have 2012 we can add seperate materials to to pipe systems. So problem solved.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 6
rolandokarlos

I' m using REvit 2011 in my Office, and I found out that using Phases is a good way to apply materials to pipes or ducts, in addition to  Object Styles and Insulation Material. Of course this method is very limited, but we do what we can with revit 2011.

I did this render from left to right: EXISTING Phase, DEMOLISHED Phase, TEMPORARY Phase, Object Style for Pipe, and Object Style for Insulation.

Hope this helps someone.

Captura

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report