Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Elbow Family Creation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
corie.grant-leanna
1925 Views, 4 Replies

Revit MEP Elbow Family Creation

I am new to family creation.  Simple creation is elementary, but when one has complex geometry with dynamic components the autodesk videos are not fullfilling.  I am in search for a step by step tutorial including geometry, parameters, constraints set up, and look up tables.  I have failed in searching autodesk help and other forums about content creation for specifically MEP Conduit elbows that have variable angles (45 degree to 90 degree).  Autodesk seek has a family from Thomas and Betts, but I need to create from scratch.  I have a conduit family I need to build and I need skills on how to properly use constraints and parameter formulas for conduit connectors and the different components/geometry within the connector.  Any videos or manuals for this would be helpful.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Just out of curiousity, why are you wanting to create a new conduit fitting family? What's wrong with the ones that are out of the box?

I too have considered creating my own family, but with the company's current processes, I don't see a need.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 3 of 5

Hi Corey,

Talk about throwing yourself into the deep end. My 2 cents of advice would not to try and start off from scratch. Edit the existing conduit files and reverse engineer them so to speak. Compare how the paramaters look with reference to what is listed in the lookup tables. Google Everyday formulas for revit use. You will find a heap of information on formulas there. You mention the you want to create a conduit with variable angles? Do you mean any angle between 45 and 90. If this is the case then this would be controlled by a formula CtoE, this again is listed inside the existing conduit familiy.

Lock all model extrusion or sweep lines to references. Dimension the reference planes to control any flexable parameters. Draw all reference lines from right to left, bottom to top and if you want to use these as a workplane, you must give them a name.

There is a bit of a shortage when it comes to good websites or step-by-step information on family creation but this link on custom pipe fittings will give you an idea of what to be prepared for. 

http://rtcevents.net/rtc2012us/materials/S11%20Creating%20pipe%20fittings%20in%20Revit%20MEP-Jose%20...

Good luck, have fun and just ask again if you get stuck. Although some og the key learning processes comes from trial and error, plus a bit of googling 🙂

CraigJ

Message 4 of 5

We are using a manufacturers list of dimensions and they are different than the generic families out there.  The geometry is quite similar, but the parameters are not.  I want to work with a lookup table and my own parameters, but I am having trouble getting the parameters to work. 

Message 5 of 5

As others have mentioned I suggest starting with an out of the box family, open in family editor, save as, re-name, make a change, load and see what happens. Keep doing this until you have a very good understanding to what Revit is doing. Then open the same out of the box family, save-as, re-name and make one change, test in the family editor, if you broke the family hit undo and try again, if the change worked in family editor load it into a project. Test the change you just made, test the entire family against the change, if it fails, go back to the editor, undo and start again. If it works, go back to the editor and make another changes and repeat the cycle, one change at a time. 

I do not have additional videos or help over an beyond what's you can already find in Revit Wikihelp or in an on-line search. Revit user groups are a great place to ask questions and if you don't have on in your area try forming one. You'd be amazed what a few pizzas and soda will get you. Other than that go back to your reseller and ask for training and if they cannot provide it move onto the next one.

Thanks for posting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report