Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP 2015 PDF Bookmarks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2263 Views, 10 Replies

Revit MEP 2015 PDF Bookmarks

Hello All,

I recently noticed that when printing multiple sheets to separate PDF files my PDFs end up with preloaded bookmarks of all of the sheets I printed. I've been through the print setups and printer properties and can't find any way to make it stop putting in bookmarks. I tested Revit 2014 and it does not create these bookmarks. Any suggestions? I am using an Adobe driver as my printer, but use Bluebeam as my default PDF viewer.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dbutts7
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit doesn't include bookmarks on its own when printing. I've checked this with both a Cute PDF Writer driver and with full Adobe Acrobat, and didn't immediately find a bookmark setting in either one of these drivers. Are you using a full version of Revit, or a student/evaluation copy?

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
dbutts7
in reply to: dbutts7

Adding bookmarks is normally a function of Adobe Acrobat itself - it's found on the Adobe Content Editing tools tab. If you're using a full version, check with whoever setup your Adobe software, and make sure they don't have bookmarks automatically added. I'm running Adoboe Acrobat XI standard, so I'm not sure where you would find this setting, but I highly doubt it's being controlled in Revit, unless Bluebeam is adding it on its own.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
jkarben

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

I recently noticed that when printing multiple sheets to separate PDF files my PDFs end up with preloaded bookmarks of all of the sheets I printed. I've been through the print setups and printer properties and can't find any way to make it stop putting in bookmarks. I tested Revit 2014 and it does not create these bookmarks. Any suggestions? I am using an Adobe driver as my printer, but use Bluebeam as my default PDF viewer.

New feature in 2015 R2. No way to turn it off apparently.

Using Electronic PDF Files

Note: This feature or functionality is available only to students and to Autodesk Maintenance and Desktop Subscription customers for Revit 2015 software releases.

When you view an electronic version of the PDF file, the following additional functionality is available:

• A table of contents provides easy navigation among the construction documents. Click a title in the table of contents to open that view or sheet.
  • View markers within a view or sheet are active hyperlinks. Click a marker to jump to that view or sheet in the PDF file. If you print views and sheets to individual PDF files, clicking a marker opens the corresponding file for the view or sheet.
Message 5 of 11
dbutts7
in reply to: jkarben

Yeah, I've got R2 as well - so just to be sure, you get this when you print to a PDF file:

bookmark.jpg

I kinda like this - but you don't want this feature in your PDF files?

just making sure I've got this all clear...thanks! db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
dawnhata

This is happening to our Revit 2017 (BDSP). I tried Bluebeam, CutePDF, and Adobe, all with the same result. See below for typical bookmark image.

image.png

It doesn't happen with previous versions of Revit nor does it happen with other Autodesk products. I printed four sheets, as separate files and each file had the bookmark, "Sheets" with sub-bookmarks of all the sheets in the printing set. See below for typical setting.

image.png

Pretty annoying going back to each pdf and having to delete each bookmark.

Message 7 of 11
mark5211
in reply to: dawnhata

Yep, fairly annoying issue for me too.  I'm using Revit 2017.1 (BDSP).  I've yet to find a work around and I'm not convinced it's an Adobe specific issue.  Each sheet gets a set of bookmarks for the entire set of drawings that were selected i.e. for a 100 sheet set, you get about 10,000 bookmarks total. *NOTE* that this occurs when plotting to individual sheets and then combining into a single pdf ("Create separate files. View/sheet names will be appended to the specific name"). I don't experience this problem if plotting to a multisheet file ("Combine multiple selected views/sheets into a single file"). It would be great if someone at Autodesk would take a some time to recreate this problem and find us a solution.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
cmukasamagoye

Yes, it seems like a nice feature. However, each sheet printed has a bookmark for every other sheet printed. So, when you create a binder of the entire set of drawings, you have hundreds (or thousands, depending on the size of the project) of bookmarks. Also, if you save the binder in a location other than where the individual files are located, it loses the linking capability. So, in the end, all the bookmarks are for naught.

If you use the "Combine multiple selected views/sheets into a single file" function, as Mark mentions below, then you only have one set of bookmarks. The issue with this is that we still have some consultants that print some sheets from CAD. Those sheets would not be in the binder Revit creates, so you would still have to do a lot of work to get them in properly. We also have not yet tested if you have the same issue of losing the links once the binder is moved.

Message 9 of 11
mrenaud8

Has anyone figured a work around or how to have this not happen when you print to PDF from Revit 2017?? I have 200 indiv. pdf files and I have to go through all of them because to whip it out....little time consuming I'd say....HELP!!!

Mickael Renaud
Mechanical Jr. Engineer
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff
Los Angeles, CA
Message 10 of 11
mrenaud8

Has anyone figured a work around or how to have this not happen when you print to PDF from Revit 2017?? I have 200 indiv. pdf files and I have to go through all of them because to whip it out....little time consuming I'd say....HELP!!!

Mickael Renaud
Mechanical Jr. Engineer
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff
Los Angeles, CA
Message 11 of 11
dawnhata
in reply to: mrenaud8

I don't know if this is even on Autodesk's radar even though I think this is an issue. My workaround deals with renaming, combining and extracting pdfs. See my attachment for a step-by-step. Let me know if it helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report