Revit MEP

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 1 of 18 (1,729 Views)

Revit MEP 2012 - "Lost Marbles"

1729 Views, 17 Replies
05-07-2012 02:14 PM

In order to challenge some of our more savvy Revit users here, I have created this "Revit Training Puzzle" based on the concept of AU's "Where's My Chair?", though I've not actually seen this.

Anyway, this puzzle consists of 27 various marbles modeled within a Revit project, each of which shown in three Views. One Plan View and one 3D View show all of the marbles properly. However, in a second Plan View, all of the marbles have been hidden by numerous and devious methods. The goal of the puzzle is to manipulate the visibility settings in order to reveal ALL 27 of the hidden marbles while adhering to the rules enclosed in the attached .zip files. Don't be fooled - it's much harder than it sounds!

Amazingly, this has ACTUALLY HELPED some of our Revit users recognize similar problems in trying to get certain objects to display! I am posting this here is case anyone is interested in the challenge. I'd be interested in hearing who can do it!

If you choose to accept this challenge - unzip all of the files attached and place them in the same folder. Follow the instructions on the enclosed .pdf file, "Revit 2012 - Lost Marbles - Rules". I would also recommend ONLY opening this in Revit MEP 2012, NOT 2013, as I am uncertain of what the "upgrade" might change or screw up.

If you've tried and given up, here are the answers:

Spoiler

Sorry - I'm not going to make it that easy! :smileywink:

But don't lose your marbles - you can send me a Private Message if you get desperate...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Mentor
thombrady
Message 2 of 18 (1,688 Views)

Re: Revit MEP 2012 - "Lost Marbles"

05-09-2012 03:36 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I accept you're challenge CADastrophe as you have helped me in many of my posts! But as I am very busy at work it may take me a little time to figure this out.

*Expert Elite*
abulla
Message 3 of 18 (1,681 Views)

05-09-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: thombrady

Fun test, thanks for posting this! I managed to get them all except that dang beige one. Going to have to read the spoiler for that one.

Edit: Tricky... :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 18 (1,669 Views)

05-09-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: abulla

Impressive! That one stumped one of our guys for a short while, too, but it's not the hardest one. The one that caused a lot of trouble was that Brass marble. But then again, some couldn't get past the first step.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
abulla
Message 5 of 18 (1,661 Views)

05-09-2012 08:53 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Whoops! After going back and reading the rules a little more thouroughly, it seems I cheated on a couple. I'm stumped on a few. I'll PM for the answers. Mine looks more like this when I read and follow all the rules:

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 6 of 18 (1,658 Views)

05-09-2012 09:25 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

If you send a message regarding the solutions, refer to the marble's label in the 3D View. (Image Attached)

biancy
Message 7 of 18 (1,587 Views)

05-15-2012 06:33 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I got 15/22 complete ones. I'm only new to the Revit business so I'm quite pleased with that :smileyvery-happy:
Good challenge, I'll definitely be sharing! 

PS - Love the spoiler :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 8 of 18 (1,572 Views)

05-16-2012 06:13 AM in reply to: biancy

Good! But - judging by your image, it looks as though the "Marbles Revealed" View was tampered with, which is against the rules. It should look EXACTLY like the attached image...

biancy
Message 9 of 18 (1,557 Views)

05-16-2012 03:36 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

My bad! I set it to realistic to match the Marble Names image you had.

Any other tampering was perfectly innocent and accidental, I swear! : )

Valued Contributor
AnmarieJames8335
Message 10 of 18 (1,495 Views)

05-29-2012 11:40 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

What a fun challenge! at least, until I started. It took me awhile to even get the first step. I realized then how much I was taking for granted, and just tried everything I could think of after that. I got all of the marbles to show except that dang yellow one. And they aren't all showing the correct color, but most are, so I'm pretty happy with my results.  I'll have to check the spoiler for the things I missed.

Thanks for putting this together and posting it. Fun stuff! Bring on the next one! :smileyhappy:

AJ

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.