Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP 2012 - "Lost Marbles"

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
CoreyDaun
4454 Views, 20 Replies

Revit MEP 2012 - "Lost Marbles"

In order to challenge some of our more savvy Revit users here, I have created this "Revit Training Puzzle" based on the concept of AU's "Where's My Chair?", though I've not actually seen this.

Anyway, this puzzle consists of 27 various marbles modeled within a Revit project, each of which shown in three Views. One Plan View and one 3D View show all of the marbles properly. However, in a second Plan View, all of the marbles have been hidden by numerous and devious methods. The goal of the puzzle is to manipulate the visibility settings in order to reveal ALL 27 of the hidden marbles while adhering to the rules enclosed in the attached .zip files. Don't be fooled - it's much harder than it sounds!

Amazingly, this has ACTUALLY HELPED some of our Revit users recognize similar problems in trying to get certain objects to display! I am posting this here is case anyone is interested in the challenge. I'd be interested in hearing who can do it!

If you choose to accept this challenge - unzip all of the files attached and place them in the same folder. Follow the instructions on the enclosed .pdf file, "Revit 2012 - Lost Marbles - Rules". I would also recommend ONLY opening this in Revit MEP 2012, NOT 2013, as I am uncertain of what the "upgrade" might change or screw up.

If you've tried and given up, here are the answers:

Spoiler

Sorry - I'm not going to make it that easy! Smiley Wink

But don't lose your marbles - you can send me a Private Message if you get desperate...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
thombrady
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I accept you're challenge CADastrophe as you have helped me in many of my posts! But as I am very busy at work it may take me a little time to figure this out.

Message 3 of 21
abulla
in reply to: thombrady

Fun test, thanks for posting this! I managed to get them all except that dang beige one. Going to have to read the spoiler for that one.

Edit: Tricky... Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: abulla

Impressive! That one stumped one of our guys for a short while, too, but it's not the hardest one. The one that caused a lot of trouble was that Brass marble. But then again, some couldn't get past the first step.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 21
abulla

Whoops! After going back and reading the rules a little more thouroughly, it seems I cheated on a couple. I'm stumped on a few. I'll PM for the answers. Mine looks more like this when I read and follow all the rules:

Message 6 of 21
CoreyDaun

If you send a message regarding the solutions, refer to the marble's label in the 3D View. (Image Attached)

Message 7 of 21
biancy

I got 15/22 complete ones. I'm only new to the Revit business so I'm quite pleased with that 😄
Good challenge, I'll definitely be sharing! 

PS - Love the spoiler 🙂

Message 8 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: biancy

Good! But - judging by your image, it looks as though the "Marbles Revealed" View was tampered with, which is against the rules. It should look EXACTLY like the attached image...

Message 9 of 21
biancy

My bad! I set it to realistic to match the Marble Names image you had.

Any other tampering was perfectly innocent and accidental, I swear! : )

Message 10 of 21

What a fun challenge! at least, until I started. It took me awhile to even get the first step. I realized then how much I was taking for granted, and just tried everything I could think of after that. I got all of the marbles to show except that dang yellow one. And they aren't all showing the correct color, but most are, so I'm pretty happy with my results.  I'll have to check the spoiler for the things I missed.

Thanks for putting this together and posting it. Fun stuff! Bring on the next one! 🙂

AJ

Message 11 of 21
rocky1717

Good stuff. I enjoyed the challenge.

Message 12 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: rocky1717

You actually got them all? Nice! I've not seen anyone get them all before.

Message 13 of 21
rocky1717

I struggled with the aqua the most and finally realized the obvious misconnection.

Message 14 of 21
nkeller

What is the secret for the brass marble. In the "Marbles Reveled" view there is a graphic overide applied to give it its color. The overide is not set in the "Marbles Hidden" View. It is against the rules to add a graphic overide to the "Marbles Hidden" view. Is there a way to solve this without applying an overide?

This is the only one that stumps me.

Message 15 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: nkeller

Not bad! Haven't looked back at this in quite a while. So, if you have gotten the Brass Marble to display as black, then you are successful. I just went back over it, and there is supposed to be an orange surface pattern override (by element) on it in the bottom View, but somehow it doesn't. It becomes hidden though the Duct System Graphic overrides (which is set to solid white) and there is a tiny piece of duct connected to the "Mechanical Equipment" marble internally. So, clearing the Graphic Overrides for the Supply Duct System is the correct course of action.

Edit: I think I recall now, that I has asked someone if they could edit my original post and switch out one of the attachments to correct this issue, but it was never switched out.

Message 16 of 21
SteveKStafford

I matched them but the mechanical equipment required matching the override applied to the revealed version. As you say in your reply that leaving it black is the answer without breaking the rules. Good puzzler.

Fwiw, the Where's my Chair puzzler at AU a couple years ago why diabolical. There were no rules regarding what might have been done to the chair. For example one version of the chair was a family that had been stripped of all model geometry so there is nothing to see or find...at all in the project. You had to select each family and Edit Family to examine the ones that had been loaded into the project as well as try to figure out which where it was supposed to be.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 17 of 21
Mehdi.Kardehi

too hard for me:|.... will do my best to solvel;)

Message 18 of 21
dbolton1

Message 19 of 21
dancryer

just a student intern here.  never thought revit would be fun, but this was a good challenge.  

Message 20 of 21
Mike.FORM

Mine looks the way it is supposed to in R23.

MikeFORM_0-1706033076909.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report