Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP 2012 Plumbing Slow

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SchultzJosh
1863 Views, 6 Replies

Revit MEP 2012 Plumbing Slow

The issue that I have that is slowing down my progress on a project,  its only slow when placing piping and anything related to piping. For every pipe that I place, delete, or move I have to wait one to two minutes for Revit to respond again. The file size is 182 megabits and we create a new local file every time the project is opened. Also several times a week we have multiple users audit the file and new central file is also created and calculations have been turned off. I have updated Revit to the most resent and our computers should have no issues for they are above the required specs. Any help on finding a solution will be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Any way you can split your piping/plumbing model up into smaller models that don't have direct interaction. say a sanitary model and a water services model for example.

182Mb of plumbing - you must the patience of a Saint. I hate it when I get to around 80Mb - my patience wears out by then!!!Smiley LOL

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 7

To do that isn't viable on the project that is having the issues. For some reason we got it to work fine on another companies computer without and lag. We are re-looking at our computers and the servers.

Message 4 of 7
ukpxm021
in reply to: SchultzJosh

It is a known issue to Autodesk that large pipe systems slow down Revit.

This happens even when calculations are turned off.

If this is the cause of your issue you must split up your pipe sytems into smaller systems.

Try disconnecting at a branch off the mains.

Draw a pipe off the detached end of the disconnected system to define a new system (otherwise Revit still assigns it to the old system).

Please would you confirm if this solves your problem, for example, by modifying something on the smaller detached system and confirming that the delay has gone.

Message 5 of 7
SchultzJosh
in reply to: ukpxm021

Revit is also making a new system for each section of pipe that is placed. We have been going through the model and combining the systems. Not sure why a new system was created for every branch. We had over 1000 systems that Revit decided to create on its own when we have been putting the piping on our own custom system as we placed them into the model.

Message 6 of 7

Are you actually making systems or just 3D modelling? It sounds like you aren't making system properly. Revit will lake new systems each time you place an instance of a pipe or a branch of pipes and pipe fittings. This is a function that started in 2012 at the request of users who wnated to place a pipe and not bother with dummy connectors to create single pipe runs, etc.

See how you get on when you have built the piping systems so they work correctly bearing in mind the previous comment about the piping system not getting too big (having too many connectors on)

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 7 of 7

Josh-  having "lots" (100's or 1000's) of systems will affect performance.  with the symptom of there being a new system for each pipe segment created, this is indiciative of the content/equipment comonents not having their connectors properly defined.

As an example, the attached family will exhibit the same behavior... as indicated, this is a 'BadFamily' and I would strongly *not* recommend using in production.  In addition to the system-per-segment creation issue, it will also not function to facilitate flow tabulation.

My recommendation would be to export all the families from the project, and review their connector settings.  Application Menu > Save As > Library.  Properly define the connectors, then re-load into the project... *then* clean up the systems in the project model.

I've also attached a document from Autodesk University from several years ago.. most of the information is still relevant.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report