Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT MEP 2012 GBXML Window Interpretation

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Toddg123
1583 Views, 12 Replies

REVIT MEP 2012 GBXML Window Interpretation

We are experiencing an issue where REVIT MEP 2012 GBXML is not correctly reading the window heights. The example we have is that there is an exterior wall with a 4' W x 7'H window that is being read as a 4'W x 5'H window in the Export GBXML viewer and exported gbxml model in Trace 700. We have reviewed the window family and can see any parameter that might be responsible for the reduced opening but can't find anything odd. Has anyone else experienced this?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: Toddg123

Hello,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the project? If yes, please send it to me (anna.oscarson@autodesk.com) and we will take a look at it.

Thanks,

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
bcpratt

I experienced a similar problem with RMEP 2013 (see image below).  In my case, the whole window assembly/opening size was treated as the window.  I wound up modifying the height in Trace 700 to exclude the bottom non-glazing panel since neither my assembly SHGC nor U-value include it.

Something else that escaped me until now is the opening quantity exported.  Previously in Trace 700 when looking at the Room Single Sheet it appeared the imported opening area was incorrect if a wall in the model contained multiple openings.  However, the correct quantity/area of openings can be seen on the "Walls" tab for the respective wall.

2012-10-02_1600.png

Message 4 of 13
AnnaOscarson

Hi,

Can you please send me the Revit file, so that we can take a look at it?

Thanks,

Anna

[anna.oscarson@autodesk.com]

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
nyu
Participant
in reply to: AnnaOscarson

Hi,

I am having similar problems after exporting gbXML file from Revit Architecture 2013. 

I have assighed materials for the windows, doors and walls in Revit 2013. After I export it as gbXML file, I find that in the gbXMl file, the and doors and walls' materials are well delivered, while the materials for windows are not. I can not see the thermal and physical properties in gbXML. All gbXML file has is "WindowType id="GSP4R"".

My purpose is use the gbXML file to do energy analysis using Energy Plus, but since the windows' materials are missing, how could I do the energy performence analysis ? 

Thanks!

Best,

Na 

Message 6 of 13
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: nyu

Hello,

An opening of the opening type “OperableWindow” does not have a constructionidref associated. It has a windowtypeidref. The WindowType contains information about U-value, SolarHeatGainCoeff and Transmittance. For more info please see http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/3251-Referenc3251/3325-gbXML_Sc3325...

Hope this helps!

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
nyu
Participant

Dear Anna,

Thanks so much for the reply!

I understand that point now.  

I have anther question, it seems that no matter what window materials I choose in revit architecture 2013, what exports in gbXML is  this material: WindowType id="GSP4R" . 

Can Revit Architecture only export this default window material ?  What could I do so as to export any window material I choose in Revit?

Another question is, is there any rules explaining how Revit rename those items and objects of each surfaces when exporting to a gbXML file? For example, for a door, it seems that it is always named as 

"lay-MDOOR'.  And one example name of wall surface is "T-1-E-R-6", which seems to be related with the direction of this wall. ....  do you know any material that can explain the exporting rules between Revit Architecture and gbXML file? 

Thanks so much!

Best,

Na 

Message 8 of 13
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: nyu

Hi,

The “window type id” can be changed by changing the Analytic Construction assigned to the Window Type. (To do that: In Revit select a window > in Properties palette click "Edit Type" > scroll down to the section “Analytical Properties” > edit the Analytic Construction to a construction that match your design.)

You can find information about naming “rules” on the Autodesk WikiHelp, please see this page: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/3251-Referenc3251/3325-gbXML_Sc3325...

Thanks,

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
nyu
Participant

Dear Anna, 

I just have some confusions about the window's SHGC properties again here. So in the gbXMl file, the SHGC property is showed in this way with 7 different values, six of them are corresponding to six different indicent angles, but how about the seventh one? Is that the averaged SHGC value that is usually interpreted by other energy analysis software such as "Energy+" when a simple window methos is used ?

<WindowType id="GSP4R">
<Name>1/8 in Pilkington single glazing</Name>
<Description>1/8 in (3 mm) Pilkington single glazing</Description>
<U-value unit="WPerSquareMeterK">6.7069</U-value>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="0">0.86</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="40">0.84</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="50">0.82</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="60">0.78</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="70">0.67</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction" solarIncidentAngle="80">0.42</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<SolarHeatGainCoeff unit="Fraction">0.78</SolarHeatGainCoeff>
<Transmittance unit="Fraction" type="Visible">0.90</Transmittance>
</WindowType>

Here is the description in the gbXML scheme. 

SolarHeatGainCoeff

The center of glass solar heat gain coefficient. Each SolarHeatGainCoeff element can have a SolarIncidentAngle attribute indicating the Incident angel of the SHGC value. If there is no SolarIncidentAngle attribute, this indicates it’s diffuse.

The SHGC value is the fraction of incident irradiance that enters through the glazing and becomes heat gain.

Thanks so much!!

Best,

Na 

Message 10 of 13
AnnaOscarson

Hi Na,

The ability to have additional SolarHeatGainCoeff values for Openings and WindowTypes for different angles was added in schema version 0.37. The element without an angle is the “legacy” value prior angles were added.

Hope that explains it.

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
gcollins

I've followed the advice given in prior responses in this thread, but am still unable to get the "constructionidref" or "windowtype id" parameters to come through in my gbxml file.

Basically, I've built an energy analytical model in Revit (which i've done many, many successful times before), defined each window type (GL-01, GL-02, etc.) specifying a unique "analytic construction" in the type properties of each, unchecked "export defaults" in the energy settings screen, and I'm still not getting my unique window types to be defined separately.

I see that energy settings also has the option to set the building constructions for each surface type, which a check-box for each to override the type. I tried unchecking the override toggle for exterior windows and it's still not helping.

Is there anything I can try? I'm using Revit MEP 2013 if that helps. It seems like a feature that worked in 2012 so it shouldn't be worth upgrading the model to 2014.

Message 12 of 13
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: gcollins

Hi,

Can you please send me the Revit file, so that we can take a look at it?

Thanks,

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 13
mertcankaradag

Hi,

I am attempting gbxml export from Revit but I am meeting a problem that analytical surfaces and spaces does not equal for curtain walls. here is  the picture. And I also try curtain walls to windows but I cannot loaded any family for converting and I dont have any windows type in this project.

Please help me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report