Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Links

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
william.nitsche
426 Views, 3 Replies

Revit Links

Hi there,

I am a Project Engineer for a MEP sub-contractor (installer). I have acess to the Architectural, Structural and MEP Revit Files. I am in charge of creating coordination drawings on this project that has already been designed and engineered.  Our scope of work falls under mechanical and plumbing. I was wondering what would be the best way to go about setting up a new Revit File in order for me to manipulate the MEP file so I can move things around that need to be coordinated with the other subs such as mechanical equipment, ducts, hydronic piping, plumbing piping and some electrical conduit and cable tray runs.

What I have started to do was opening the MEP file, since that is the one I need to be manipulating, and linking the arch and structure files. When trying to override the visibility and graphics of the two linked files, I can not manipulate any of the catagories because they are greyed out. I know this is a pretty broad description, but If anyone else has had this issue or has had this responisbility before, is there a better way than I am describing to go about setting up the new project?

Thank you for your time,

- Bil

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: william.nitsche

Under Visibility/Graphics Overrides » Revit Links tab » Display Settings » Basics tab, you will have to set the top option to "Custom", and then go to the Model Categories tab and set the "Model categories:" pull-down to "<custom>" before you can control the V/G Overrides for a Linked Model separate from the local V/G Overrides.

What are you trying to customize, exactly? If you are trying to customize overall appearances, you can alter the normal (local) V/G Overrides and the elements in both your model and in any linked models will obey.

If you have to hide a Category in a Linked Model but show that same Category in your Model, I would recommend create a View Filter based on Workset. For instance, if the Architect has placed generic Mechanical Equipment Families as placeholders, and you want to hide these and keep yours visible, create a View Filter that applies to the Mechanical Equipment Category with the Filter Rules: "Workset" "does not equal" "[your Workset Name]", add it to your Views and turn the VIsibility off. You have to make sure your elements are placed on the correct workset, then. This method only works if the Linked Model has Worksharing enabled.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4

when going into the revit links tab in the vg overrides for most views, after clicking the display settings, I can not click the custom radio buttom because it is always grayed out. 

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: william.nitsche

There is probably a View Template assigned to your View, which is listed under Properties while that View is open. You will either have to modify the View Template in the same way or remove the View Template from that View (set it to "none").

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report