Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit for conceptual MEP drawings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jeannot
374 Views, 5 Replies

Revit for conceptual MEP drawings

Hello, Is there any way to use Revit MEP (or something else) for early conceptual/schematic design MEP drawings? Not just energy modeling, but what are essentially single line type drawings you would develop to show multiple quick system and layout options. Without defining every duct elbow and pipe fitting. The managers are actually recommending waiting to move into Revit until design development to avoid having someone spend time defining a system (the draftsmen can't help themselves) when its the overall concept that matters at that stage. Any sugestions are appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: jeannot

No not really. You would have to resolve to use drafting views and make your single line diagrams in there.

But converting a single line diagram into a model is not possible (at least OOTB Revit).

What I sometimes have done for the simpler systems is to actual construct the model. Within the families you can create symbols. Using visibility settings (coarse, medium fine) you can control if you want to see the symbol or the actual component. So a pipe will convert to a line, and a valve to a valve symbol etc.

However you would still end up with a 3D representation of the SLD. If this would be allowed by your clients?

There are some plugins that allow to extract SLD from the model. However I have no experience with these. (Also note still the other way around....first model then SLD).

It also can be viewed as a mindset issue. People want to continue to work in the same way as they always have done.

I noticed with my switch from autocad to revit that by changing the process I lost a little time on the initial work. But because, by working in the (3D) model from the intial stages I gained a lot of time savings in the later stages.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 6
jkarben

You can use Duct and Pipe Placeholders. They are single line representation of ducts and pipes. Placeholders do have 3D dimensions associated with them and can be quickly converted to 3D object with Convert Placeholder when the time comes. 

For early design I've often used 3D ducts for mains and placeholders for the zone branch ducts with the associated VAV boxes and diffusers. Makes for quick work.

You could also use Detail (or Model) lines if you really wanted to go on the cheap.

Message 4 of 6
jeannot
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks Enlint,

I think that using visibility settings as you suggest is definitely one element of the solution. Part of the issue is perception. If the items look simplified or sketchy, then that clearly communicates the stage you are in, and to not assume something is fully engineered/designed. Have you tried the method proposed by jkarben for Duct and Pipe Placeholders for the single layout option?

Message 5 of 6
jeannot
in reply to: jkarben

Thank you also jkarben,

Duct and Pipe Placeholders seems like the solution for quick layouts without sacrificing efficiency since they can be converted later. Do you loose any automated features by the conversion verses the intial placement with parameters?

Message 6 of 6
jkarben

Placeholders have all the same parameters as standard Revit Ducts/Pipes. It's just represented differently in the view. Saves you from having to size the elements and worry about all the fittings, etc. when that information isn't prudent or known.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report