Revit MEP

Contributor
hjoyce
Message 1 of 5 (538 Views)
Accepted Solution

revit Elbow fitting

538 Views, 4 Replies
03-20-2014 05:58 AM

I have a problem with and Pipe fitting Elbow that was created in Revit 2014.  The Family flexes correctly and is correct dimensionally but when I use it, the angle that comes off a 45 elbow is slightly off.  I made sure the connectors angle is set to the Angle parameter and the Radius is set to NomRad parameter. It the JPEG you can see the elbow angle is correct but pipe angle is not.  The elbow works correctly at 90 degrees

I believe the problems is that Revit is using the Family's Origin (intersection of the Origin Reference Planes) as the intersection point for the Pipe, and the location of your Family's Origin does not match what should be the geometric intersection point. You have a parameter called "LenA2" that is controlling the horizontal distance between the vertical Origin Reference Plane and the edge of the bend. I think you'll need to use a separate parameter here to properly calculate this distance.

Compare your Family with the standard Revit generic elbow Family. (See image below).

PipeFittingOrigin.JPG

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 5 (480 Views)

Re: revit Elbow fitting

03-21-2014 07:44 AM in reply to: hjoyce

Can you post a sample Project file that includes this elbow?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
hjoyce
Message 3 of 5 (475 Views)

03-21-2014 08:37 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Attached is a sample project with subject elbow.  Its a long radius welded elbow with OD=Nominal Diameter.  Thanks for your time Corey.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 5 (469 Views)

03-21-2014 09:57 AM in reply to: hjoyce

I believe the problems is that Revit is using the Family's Origin (intersection of the Origin Reference Planes) as the intersection point for the Pipe, and the location of your Family's Origin does not match what should be the geometric intersection point. You have a parameter called "LenA2" that is controlling the horizontal distance between the vertical Origin Reference Plane and the edge of the bend. I think you'll need to use a separate parameter here to properly calculate this distance.

Compare your Family with the standard Revit generic elbow Family. (See image below).

PipeFittingOrigin.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
hjoyce
Message 5 of 5 (446 Views)

03-22-2014 08:51 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Thanks, great catch.  Appreeciate your assistance. Yup all good, changed lookup table paramter from lenA2>>BendRad and then lenA2=BendRad*Tan(Ang/2)

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.