Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 running on a laptop?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
test_52
7827 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2013 running on a laptop?

For anyone out there that is running Revit 2013 on a laptop, what are the specs for the laptop? We are debating starting to phase laptops in to replace our desktops but we don't want to sacrifice performance when running Revit. Right now the desktops run smoothly without a lot of lagging. Are laptops capable a running the program just as well?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BRYANBRAUER1832
in reply to: test_52

I have been running REVIT MEP 2013 on a Sony VAIO ARS120 with an I7 740 and 6G of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M.  I have not loaded and huge models, but REVIT seems to run as fast (or faster) on my laptop as it does on my desktop which has 24G RAM.  

Message 3 of 10
dennis
in reply to: BRYANBRAUER1832

Dell Precision with 16gb ram

ATI FirePro M8900 Graphics

700gb hard drive

Windows 7 OS

Runs Revit great, along with Navisworks, AutoCADs like Plant3D and AMEP as well as 3DS.

Message 4 of 10
tkendrick
in reply to: dennis

Dell Precision Mobile M6600

Intel i7 500GB HD 16GB RAM Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB Win7

I'm currently working on a project with 5 linked models totalling 500MB, I usually have this open in conjunction with

a 100MB Navisworks model. Works as fast as a 50MB project.

Dell and HP both have mobile workstation offerings for this purpose.

Look into using an SSD for your boot drive/OS.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 5 of 10
embolisim
in reply to: tkendrick

We have one laptop which we use for presentations, client visits etc. It runs Revit MEP as well as any of our desktops.

HP EliteBook 8560W

Intel i7 2820QM 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Quattro 200M 2GB, Win7.

Message 6 of 10
KennyGJr

These are great suggestions, because I'm looking for a laptop that can run this software as well.  

I was wondering though, does Revit work on Windows 8.1?  These laptops sound like they have the power to run the latest software, but nobody has mentioned whether it can run on this OS.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Message 7 of 10
abulla
in reply to: KennyGJr

One of the presenters at AU (I sound like a broken record) actually recommended running Revit on Windows 8.1. I'm running Revit on my laptop on Windows 8 and I haven't run into any problems yet.
Message 8 of 10
KennyGJr
in reply to: abulla

If this is the case, what kind of laptop are you using?  Does pretty much any new laptop, that has an i7 processor, run Revit?

Message 9 of 10
abulla
in reply to: KennyGJr

Mine's a Samsung Series 7 Chronos with an i7-3635M, 8GB of RAM, and an NVidia GeForce 640M GT video card. It runs Revit and Navisworks well. The most important factors for running Revit are core processor speed, RAM, and hard drive speed. I'd look for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card too.
Message 10 of 10
vonwolfgang463553

I'm also looking for a Alienware laptop to run 2013 Revit MEP & 2013 Autocad. The specification I'm looking at are:

Operating System:  Win 7 64 - i7-4800MQ 4.5GHz,

Ram:                      32GB Dual Channel DDR3L Ram,

Video Card:            Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5. My video card has to handle dual monitors,

Hard Drive:             750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80GB mSATA SSD Hard Drive, 17.3 (1920 x 1080) display

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report