Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Multiple Buildings in One Project

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
garnerm
1680 Views, 3 Replies

Revit 2013 Multiple Buildings in One Project

I am electrical engineer working in Building Design Suite Revit 2013.  I'm working with an architect offsite at another firm.  We have three buildings that we are doing renovation work in that will be under the same contract (bid together).  The architect wants to do work for each building in individual files relative to each building then insert them all together to produce one set of construction documents.  Questions!!!

1. Is this the best way?  Can we not create seperate doucments and combine them somehow in another method?
  2. We are creating MEP files that have architectural files inserted in?  Isn't this the correct method?  We are doing this for each individual building (file).  Is this right?
  3. Then are biggest building (file), we are inserting the other two MEP files that have the two other Architectural files inserted into them but the buildings come in on top of ewach other, is this right?  Do we just move them off to the side?  Do these need to align with the architect's file for when he inserts our files for his drawings?
  4. I have set up view needs for each individual building in their own individual file but when I insert them into the main file to create my construction documents, I don't see my views.  How can I get those views from the other files into my main file without creating them again to insert them into sheets?  Is this the best way?

I'm fairly confendent in my revit experience but I have never done a project where I have multiple buildings in the same file.  Please help ASAP!!!  And a huge thanks to any who can help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: garnerm

My first electrical question for you is: are these buildings fed from the same electrical service? If so, Revit cannot retrieve any electrical distribution data from a linked model, so I would want to have them all is the same model. I assume that they're separate, though.

And I think that the overall plan to insert the complete, separate models into a single file will accomplish very little. You cannot reference the Sheets, Panel Schedules, etc. from a Linked Model. Are the equipment schedules being combined into one master to cover all buildings, or will each building have its own separate schedules?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
garnerm
in reply to: CoreyDaun

We are just doing light renovation work and will not be changing the electrical distribution system for any of the buildings.  Just changing light fixtures out and moving some receptacles.  Well I take that back, one of the buildings is new and will require a brand new electrical system.  But all three of the electrical distribution systems are different.  I would be bring the schedules in to but on sheets for construction documentation.  In there lies my problem.  I want all three of these Revit files to stay separated for records for each individual building but we need to bring them together to make all of our construction documents.  Need solutions?

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: garnerm

Even if you used Copy/Monitor to try to get an electrical panel from the link for the Panel Schedule, it would be zero load as Copy/Monitor does not carry over any of its load data. The only reasonable way you are going to be able to combine them is to link all three Architectural files into your MEP model, and do all of your work for all three buildings in that one file.

Regarding their placement, If the buildings are not associated with each other, then their exact location doesn't matter aside from coordinating with the Architect. This being the case, it's a matter of how he is locating them in his combined file.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report