Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2009 SDK - Software Development Kit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
aacorley
401 Views, 6 Replies

Revit 2009 SDK - Software Development Kit

1. My computer is setup so that only the administrator can install programs. I cannot. I have Revit MEP 2009 installed. I found the Revit2009SDK file on the CD. Can I just copy/unzip it to my hard drive and run it or does it have to be installed?

2. What are some typically uses of the Revit SDK?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
arcticad
in reply to: aacorley

You may want to install VSTA off the Revit Install CD first.
---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))
Message 3 of 7
aacorley

What does VSTA do?
Message 4 of 7
arcticad

VSTA is the acronym for Visual Studio Tools for Applications and is the replacement technology from Microsoft for VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

http://greenrevit.blogspot.com/2008/02/revit-2009-new-feature-vsta.html

Typical uses for the SDK kits can be anything from custom families to a custom interface.

Do you have programming experience?

What are you trying to do?
---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))
Message 5 of 7
aksaks

Everything and anything that can be done. That could range from streamlining the user interface to single user inputs for frequent tasks to analysis and design applications. What cannot be done with VSTA? Sorry to be asking this question, but finding information on Revit workings seems to be impossible.

aks
Message 6 of 7
aacorley

I have programming experience in Basic, Pascal, Fortran and C. I gave up on learning machine code, although I really did try. I have not prgrammed in many years. I figured API tools were needed to make custom families which is what I was planning to do. If I model something in Inventor, do I need the SDK to convert it to a family?

Thanks for your help.

AC
Message 7 of 7
Martin__Schmid

If I model something in Inventor, do I need the SDK to convert it to a family?

No. You use the AEC Exchange functionality in Inventor 2010 to create an .adsk Exchange file, then in Revit 2010, you simply open the .adsk file.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report