Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction of a huge file

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
stevenson53
698 Views, 4 Replies

Reduction of a huge file

Hi There!

OK, so I have a huge Revit project sent to me (250mb) and all I want is to detail a small part of it, in fact just one room.

Is there a simple way to isolate that one room and get rid of everything else please?

This will make it way easier for me to handle the drawing and of course significantly reduce the file size.

On a similar note, can file sizes be reduced like the "purge" you can do in AutoCAD?

Thanks

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Does the rest of the project matter? If not you can select everything that you are interested in, create a group. The group can then be saved "out" as a separate file which you can then work in. There are two kinds of groups though. Model groups are made up of 3D building elements like walls, doors and windows while Detail Groups are only 2D elements like text, tags, dimensions and symbols. A model group can't include 2D elements directly but if you select them when you create a model group Revit will also create a detail group that can be included when you save the group out of the project.

If you are expecting to do this work outside the project but then put it back in the larger project context you would probably be better off just working within the larger file. Fwiw, 250 mb might seem big but that's an average commercial project and small by hospital and big building standards.

Purge Unused will reduce file size somewhat but you'll also likely purge things you don't appreciate missing yet, such as text and dimension styles, systems that haven't been used yet etc. Purge Unused CAREFULLY. If you aren't very familiar with the model then I'd refrain from doing it.

Assuming this project is using Worksets, then Detach from Central will allow you to save a separate new file. This usually results in a smaller file size too, though if a team begins working on it again it will likely increase in size again pretty quickly.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for that and yes I was going to do this outside of the project whilst I am training and maybe send it back to the architect, if they want it that is.

I tried to Group what I wanted but things like an extended floor outside of the area concerned couldn't be cut.

I got a warning about changing the user name when I opened the file if I wanted to edit the model, whatever that means.  I also got this:

"Can't obtain permission to edit the element:  The Central Model is inaccessible.  You can check out worksets at risk, but consider carefully!"

I tried to remove unused famillies and yes, not wise! LOL!  

Paul 

Message 4 of 5

You'd either need to leave the floor behind or also include it in your group. You could copy the floor and put it in the same spot but edit its perimeter sketch so that it is smaller, around the area you are interested...then create the group with the smaller floor.

When you get a file that uses worksharing (worksets) then you get warning message like you encountered. If you open the file, check the Detach from Central option before clicking Open. You'll get a message asking if you're sure and then if you want to Detach and retain worksets or discard them, keep them. Once the file is open you won't run into permission issues. The file is also not a file until you save it, just exists in RAM. When you save it, save elsewhere or at least with a new name, otherwise you'll overwrite the original file, which I assume you'd like to preserve.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 5

Good one and thanks!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report