Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing Fittings/Missing Flanges

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Showtime10
2361 Views, 5 Replies

Reducing Fittings/Missing Flanges

I recently upgraded to Revit 2014 and am having some issues with either flanges or reducing elbows and reducing tees.  I have tried several different combinations for creating a pipe run to try and isolate the problem without success.  To rule out one variable, I have zero problems (so far) with NON-reducing fittings in pipe runs – I can flex the pipe however I choose and all of the fittings respond appropriately including adding reducers where necessary.

Once I change my Routing Preferences to reducing elbows and reducing tees or simply place these types of fittings into a pipe run, I start having issues.  I have included an image of the pipe runs in their differing states.  One caveat is the fittings I am using are “out-of-the-box” fittings and are not families I have created (though I may need to create them if this cannot be resolved).

On the image (Routing Preferences are set to reducing elbows and tees):

1)      Upper Left

Simple pipe run created using “Pipe” command

2)      Upper Middle

Same pipe run as (1) but changed the size of the pipe spools(did not change the size of fitting as this should be automatic)

Notice the flanges have disappeared

3)      Upper Right

Flanges have returned after highlighting the vertical pipe and dragging the connector to one of the elbows.

4)      Lower Left

Same pipe run as (1) but have created a junction with the “Pipe” command

Notice the reducing tee run changed to a smaller size than the pipe

Notice the bottom elbow size changed on the run of pipe the junction was created.

5)      Lower Right

Flanges have returned after highlighting the vertical pipe and dragging the connector to one of the elbows.

Also Warning message from Revit.

I have pipe segment sizes listed in MEP Settings that cover the sizes I drew on the image

I also still have 2012 on my computer as everybody on my team has not been upgraded as of yet.  I noticed some buggy things in 2012 after 2014 was installed but that may be coincidence.  I mention it only because sometimes programs don’t like their predecessors hanging out once the new one gets installed.  Regardless, I need to figure out a resolution to this problem because it is delaying our upgrade.  Not looking for a workaround but a solid solution so hopefully it is just a setting I overlooked and not a bug in the latest release.

Showtime10
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Showtime10

I know you said you were using an OOTB Family, but could you attach the one you are currently using here?

Showtime10 wrote:

"I also still have 2012 on my computer as everybody on my team has not been upgraded as of yet.  I noticed some buggy things in 2012 after 2014 was installed but that may be coincidence..."

This isn't a coincidence at all - this is related to .NET 4.5 and the installation of 2014, and affects both Revit 2012 and 2013. The exact symptom is that the contextual tab does not "update" according to the selection. For instance if you select a Revision Cloud and click "Edit Sketch", there is no apparent change in the Ribbon, meaning that the "Sketch Lines" command does not become visible when it should be.

To force the tab to "refresh", click on the "CycleRibbon.JPG" button to cycle the display mode (a PITA to do repeatedly). For a more permanent solution, refer to >>this post<< in the Revit Architecture forum.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
Showtime10
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Here are the families

Showtime10
Message 4 of 6
Showtime10

...and lookup tables.

Showtime10
Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

I was able to replicate the issues you're describing, but I couldn't find a cause. Would it be a possible solution to modify the Elbow Fitting Family to include a double flange, so that you don't have to manually insert a separate flange fitting?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
Showtime10
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Definitely an option...it may be the short term solution to keep our projects rolling.

I am going to re-create the reducing elbow and tee families from scratch and see if that fixes the problem.  I think the parameters can be simplified/reduced a bit and maybe that will help.

Thanks for your input CADastrophe.  I will post back after testing the newly created families and if they work, I will include the families in case other users are having issues as well.

Showtime10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report