Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15
lroeber
344 Views, 14 Replies

Ram

How much ram does it take to run revit so it's just as fast as autocad? Or is that possible.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
wilsonmm
in reply to: lroeber

Not possible, but 4 gig and a good video card will make you happy, ATI or Nvidia, I have a nVIDIA GE FORCE 8800 GT and it's very nice and fast, for like $200 bucks but if you can afford a quadro fx for like $500 or so go for it.
Message 3 of 15
lroeber

supposably my computer is maxed out at 4 gig, and it still is slow. sometimes it takes up to tens seconds to delete a piece of duct.
Message 4 of 15
JHuman

Does anyone know if upgrading to Windows XP 64 bit and the 4 gigs would work better? I know Windows XP 32 bit only utilizes around 2 gigs.
Message 5 of 15
wim
Contributor

One can change the registry so that 3 Gb can be addressed with a 32 bit Windows XP version. Just fyi.
Message 6 of 15
JHuman

Although doing the 3 gig switch dosnt always work. We have had 4 of 5 computers not like the bios change. Just FYI.
And the performance increase is minimial, if not at all.
Message 7 of 15
TexasJetter

We have found that upgrading to XP 64 does help a little. 64-bit manages memory better and can address more than 3Gb. You should check out the white paper Autodesk released on Revit performance recommendations, it has a hardware section in it .. . but don't expect too much.
Message 8 of 15
JHuman

Great, I will check that out. We have tried the 3gb switch and it worked for about two days then windows didnt know what to do. I have considered upgrading (or downgrading, however you look at it) to Vista 64bit, reseach says its a little more stable than XP 64 bit. If I had the money to buy a whole new computer, I would just buy another MAC and get VMware. Thanks for the info.
Message 9 of 15
TexasJetter

Actually I am running it on Vista 64 (we use XP 64 for production). XP is a little faster than Vista, although if you turn off all the Aero glass and unnecessary services Vista is pretty snappy - especially if you have 4+ Gb of RAM 🙂
Message 10 of 15
JHuman

Awsome, I think I might give it a try.
Thanks!
Message 11 of 15
lroeber

how much will upgrading to a really good video card speed things up? we have machines that have 8gb of ram, and we're dealing with files that are getting as big as 60 mb. and it is very slow and painfull. any suggestions.

thanks levi
Message 12 of 15
TexasJetter

In my experience the video card has little if any effect. This is further supported by the white paper Autodesk put out on performance "Relatively inexpensive video cards may perform as well or better than more expensive cards". They recommend OpenGL 1.3 or later . . . but I haven't had much success with the OpenGL settings.
Message 13 of 15
lroeber

We plan on getting another 8gb of ram, will this help? any thing else we can do to make it faster?

thanks
Message 14 of 15
JHuman

Honestly I don't know how much video power Revit uses vs. the processor power. It can depend a lot on processor power. I have two 512mg cards on SLI on PCIe and it works great, it is a homebuilt machine. The cost of those was only about 200 bucks a piece. Which can be paid off quickly in productivity.
Message 15 of 15
lroeber

how big of files are you dealing with?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report