Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Pick New" button is greyed out in one PC and not the other one.

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
RaulCardonaPendrey
3115 Views, 15 Replies

"Pick New" button is greyed out in one PC and not the other one.

I am stumped.  On the same project, with the same Central file, the same exact Electrical Fixture instance allows me to rehost it in one computer and NOT on another (yes after it has been relinquished during a synchronization to the central file) the Pick New Work Plane button greys out after one second and can't be rehosted using that computer.  This actually happens with several Electrical Fixture families, they all behave similarly.  The Revit MEP builds on each computer are identical.  HELP PLEASE!

Raúl Cardona Pendrey

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

I know you probably already have done this too, but did you hit Reload Latest after the last user did a Synchronize with Central and a Relinquish All Mine? It sounds as though someone still has ownership of the element(s).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 16

Yes, those elements are editable, they have been relinquished.  It is happening all across the board.  The architectural background changed and the walls where they were hosted moved or dissappeared entirely.  Now they need new hosts.  Unfortunately "Pick New" is only available on one computer and not the other.  But it definitely is not a question of element ownership, since you can delete them anyway, it's a hosting issue.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

Message 4 of 16

Alright... On one of the computers that cannot pick a new host, try recreating the local file and see if that affects anything. If one computer can and another can't, I don't know what it would be if not permissions. It may be the permissions for the Link Itself.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 16

Created a local copy on another machine and that one can't re-host the fixtures either.  Went ahead and opened and saved the linked architectural model on that machine, reloaded it into the MEP model and the behavior was the same.  I kept testing on that machine and found that if I removed the fixture's circuit from the panel I was again able to re-host the fixture and then add it back to the panel, where once again I could not re-host.  Very strange behavior indeed.

Message 6 of 16

What fun would it be if Revit worked flawlessly?

Does the behavior swap between the machines? Is it the same computer that seems to always be able to re-host the elements? Has that computer had the button grayed out as well?

I will assume that these re-host attempts are taking place in the exact same View on each computer, so are you able to re-host when looking at the element in another view? (You can just duplicate the original view to test.)

Message 7 of 16

The computer that originally had no issues still has no issues.  The other computers still have the same issue even on different views, child/dependent or duplicated views.  Nice suggestion for a test.

Not to get too technical but this is what we call wonky.  Which is not expected on the electrical side of things, it's not like it was plumbing.

Message 8 of 16

Let's start this from another angle:

• What version of Revit are you using?
  • Is this only happening with this one particular family or type of family?
  • Is it a (or are they) OOTB Revit family (or families)?
  • Are all of the troublesome elements wall-hosted, or rather vertical-face-hosted?
Message 9 of 16

Thank you, we're making due with our workaround detaching the circuit from the panel, re-hosting and then reconnecting to the panel.  These corrections need to be made, that is more pressing at the moment.  But to answer your questions:

-We are running Revit MEP 2012

-At the moment we've only observed the behavior with this one family

-It is an edited OOTB family ("Outlets")

-The elements are "face-hosted"

Message 10 of 16

Understood. Can you just run through with the "good" computer and re-host the offset devices? This is behavior I have never heard of before and I don't quite know how that can even work that way...

If you still want to attempt to find a solution:

Try opening the family for editing, draw a detail line anywhere and delete it (so Revit detects a change), and then load it into the project and redefine the family.

Message 11 of 16

If you have not already, select the troublesome elements, cut them from the project, then Paste Aligned to Same Place. This has fixed this behavior in the past for other users.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 12 of 16

It did not occur to me to try that.  We have moved ahead, but if I run into that problem again I'll give that a try.

Message 13 of 16
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Is it known what actually causes this problem to occur? Or what the technical problem even is?

Message 14 of 16
Chris.Aquino

The condition of the elements that are <not associated> and ones that are orphaned is the same in that they are missing their hosts. When face hosted elements lose their host which is in the project, they become <not associated>, when elements are hosted to objects (usually linked files) that get deleted, they become orphaned. 

Using the "graphics" button in the Reconcile Hosting dialog will allow you to change the color of "orphaned" elements, but not ones that are <not associated>. The only way to rehost elements is one-by-one.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 15 of 16
PaulineP54QC

Hello,

12 years later same issue. Unfortunately this is not solution. Please it does not have to be like "real life" where if walls are gone then device too. The cut and paste did not work for me. So this is a delete all and start again.  

Message 16 of 16
RobDraw
in reply to: PaulineP54QC

Apparently, it did work for the OP.

Maybe you've got something else going on. I'd suggest that you start a new thread instead of commenting like this on a solved thread.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report