Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot Assign Lighting Panel to Circuit"

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jcs5505
10812 Views, 14 Replies

"Cannot Assign Lighting Panel to Circuit"

Hello!

I'm trying to assign a lighting panel with a 120-240 distribution system to a circuit that contains three lights, each 120v. 

It seems to me like this should work, but every time I try to assign my lighting panel to the circuit, I get an error message from Revit saying, 

"Cannot assign LP-A to circuit. The voltage (120v) is out of range for the line to ground voltage for LP-A. The line to ground voltage is specific in the assigned distrubtion system."

As I am not an engineer, I'm sure there is some complication here that I'm unaware of. 

I've attached some screen shots if that would be helpful. 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
smbrennan
in reply to: jcs5505

It seems like you should check your Distribution Systems. While your panel is set to 120-240 - what's the Line to Ground Voltage?

Distribution Systems.JPG

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 3 of 15
jcs5505
in reply to: smbrennan

Here's what I have... 

I've tried changing the L-G and the L-L Voltage, but the only two options it allows are "default" or "none."

Distribution Systems.PNG

Message 4 of 15
smbrennan

Ah, that's because you don't have any Voltage Definitions. Once you fill those out, they should be availble to create a distribution system.

Voltage Definition.JPG

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 5 of 15
jcs5505

Great!! That was the problem! 

Now I have one last issue (hopefully). The schedule itself is completely blank, although I've connected the lighting panel to several circuits. Is there an extra step I need to take so that information shows up in the schedule? (This is what Revit gave me as the default schedule, but in the tutorials I've been watching, their default layout makes a lot more sense.) 

LP-A Schedule.PNG 

Message 6 of 15
smbrennan

Ok - it was obvious before that you are working in a template that has no electrical content created.  This step will save you some pain of having things work, but I've found that there's a lot of customization that needs to go in to developing your own content if you have your own standard.

Regardless, here's what you can do that will save you time (mainly, because setting up your own panel schedules can be a tedious process, and this is much quicker):

1. Create a new project. When prompted for a Template, Select the Electrical Template. Take note of the Project name (no need to save, and this may just be "Project1."
  2. With the project which you have no electrical content for as the active view, go to your Manage Tab, and Select Transfer Project Standards.
  3. Make sure the Project name from step 1 is selected ("Project1" by default in a new session of Revit).
  4. Choose what you want to transfer, and select OK. You're probably good to go with everything selected - otherwise you may have to repeat this process again when you come across something else that you're missing.

Now, you're not done - the panel schedule will not up date just yet. Next:

1. Open the Panel Schedule(s) you wish to update.
  2. In the Modify Panel Schedule Tab, select Change Template. Here you will see a list (of probably only the default). Select the new panel schedule template (if you had more than 1 template, they would be here) and click OK.
Shawn B.

|   
Message 7 of 15
jcs5505

In order to have the electrical template "project1" show up in the drop-down menu to copy items, I had to link that project into my current one with no electrical content. 

I'm not sure if that changed anything, but when I went to change the panel template, you're right, only the default template was given as an option, but when I selected it, nothing changed. 😕  ...Not quite sure what I did wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your patience!

ElectricalTemplate.PNG

branch panel.PNG

Message 8 of 15
smbrennan

Ok - for ease of me explaining this, lets assume "Project 1" is the new Electrical Template, and "Project 2" is your current project with no electrical settings/content.

1. With Project 2 open, select Transfer Project Standards
  2. The prompt will display as Select Items to Copy. Every Other project will be in this list. You shouldn't have to link the project in. Maybe that's where something went wrong? Anyway, everything is checked by default. Confirm that the Panel Schedule Templates are checked. You can uncheck items if you wish.
  3. Click OK. Overrite files when prompted.
  4. Open Existing Panel Schedule
  5. Change Template
  6. Click OK

Shawn B.

|   
Message 9 of 15
jcs5505

Perfect! It worked! Thanks so much for your help!!

Message 10 of 15
misaelarte

@jcs5505 wrote:

Hello!

I'm trying to assign a lighting panel with a 120-240 distribution system to a circuit that contains three lights, each 120v. 

It seems to me like this should work, but every time I try to assign my lighting panel to the circuit, I get an error message from Revit saying, 

"Cannot assign LP-A to circuit. The voltage (120v) is out of range for the line to ground voltage for LP-A. The line to ground voltage is specific in the assigned distrubtion system."

As I am not an engineer, I'm sure there is some complication here that I'm unaware of. 

@jcs5505 wrote:

Hello!

Message 11 of 15
baccaljoemel

Good day, i am troubled with this. I can't select panel through my created circuits. 
Can you help me out. Thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 15
smbrennan
in reply to: baccaljoemel

It looks like the device(s) in that circuit have their voltage at 0V. 

Double check those objects’ parameters and the parameters mapping within the family for the electrical connector. 

Shawn B.

|   
Message 13 of 15
baccaljoemel

I also edited the properties.

208V MCB.JPG208V MCB TYPE PROPERTIES.JPG

Message 14 of 15

I have tried everything in this thread and no success. Model is attach and video. this one thing has wasted my entire weekend. It is really disheartening. 

Message 15 of 15
smbrennan
in reply to: jdcarlingJQBC3

I'm not seeing any attachment on your last post. 

Shawn B.

|   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report