Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Experts (Sub-Contractors preferred)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
smbrennan
242 Views, 1 Reply

Question for Experts (Sub-Contractors preferred)

As a contractor, we often don't receive files until after designs are completed. We are starting to see the Engineers using Revit in our market area (Chicago) more frequently, and now we feel it is time to get up to par. Now that I'm getting my feet wet, looking at past projects and obtaining their Revit files, I'm coming up with some questions. One in partiuclar is in regards to updates.

As we all know in the construction inudstry, changes are innevitable. They come in all variations for different reasons. As a contractor, when we receive a Revit file, I think it's best to OPEN that file and start doing our work in that file itself (obviously there's some other setup, but my point is that we're not LINKING that file into our own). How is everyone accomodating changes made via Addendums and other minor changes? Are you strictly looking at PDFs and manually making the changes? For example, I receive and electrical file. I massage it, re-circuit the power systems for a cleaner installation (while maintaining intent), add various annotations and schedules for our installation needs. Obviously, for us to do this all over again in a new updated file, would be insane and unacceptable.

Am I on the right path with this logic, or am I defying the BIM workflow? Does anyone have similar scenarios they can share their experience on the matter?

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ArynBergman
in reply to: smbrennan

Hi Shawn,

Unfortunately the answer is not that simple.  I've used Revit both from the design side and from the owner's side and I can tell you that you will need to develop workflows for different types of projects you're involved with. What I suggest is to network with the firms you work most with and outline what you think would be the best workflows for you team for particular types of projects.   Then test it on a live project.  The smaller the better as you will definitely blow your budget until you get the kinks worked out.  Fore example if you're working on residential or small commercial projects then working directly out of the files you receive would be fine.  However, if you're working on any kind of complicated project such as a hospital then you're going to have to most definitely utilize linking your files.  But it's more than that, you'll need to figure out what to link, what to show, and how to link it (you may need to split the files up if they're huge).  Are you and your teams wanting to work congruently?  Then you're going to have to get clever with worksets and linked files.  Also even on small projects if you're using Revit for the metadata that you can add to families, then again you're going to want to use your on files, with your own families and materials, and link in files from outside firms.

There's a book called BIM for Facility Managers that is a decent start.  Facilty managers and owners are who benefits the most if BIM is used properly throughout the design and construction process and the final recipient of the models.  I'm only about a third way through and it's useful b/c it gives a decent broad overview.  However, like most BIM docs and guidelines, its heavy on the benefits of using BIM, but light on the actual implementation details.  Maybe they will get to it later, but who knows.  There's also lots of material from the AIA and the GSA regarding BIM.  You should also research Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) methods and there's a organization called the Lean Construction Institute that may have a local chapter in your area that meets occassionly.  I've been to meetings where the whole design and constuction team gets up and spills the beans on everything IPD and BIM related that were awesome, but then others that were not so useful.

Congrats on joining the BIM world and good luck!  If you have any specfic questions, please let me know and if I have any relavent experience, I'll pass it along.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report