Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to exit a workset without saving it

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ken
Enthusiast
439 Views, 10 Replies

Proper way to exit a workset without saving it

We have setup a workset for our first Revit project and there is really only one person working in regularly and I will pop in every once and a while and try stuff but I dont want to save it. When I exit I get the following options:

Save to Central
Relinguish and Save
Dont Relinquish

Since I dont want to save I his dont relinguish. But when I do that, the other person working on the project can't save his stuff because I haven't relinguished it.

What am I doing wrong?

Ken@rlmrlm.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jlwetzel
in reply to: ken

even though you havent "changed" anything you have panned in views or selected items. This makes you the owner of such items. The proper way to exit would be to go ahead and save to central and relinquish all mine. If you truely havent changed anything then you shouldnt have to worry about saving the file. This is the only way to make sure you dont have possession of anything.
Message 3 of 11
ken
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Ok lets say that I did make a change but then said forget it, let me change it later and still want to exit with out saving the stuff I had done?

Ken@rlmrlm.com
Message 4 of 11
ken
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Ok lets say that I did make a change but then said forget it, let me change it later and still want to exit with out saving the stuff I had done?

Ken@rlmrlm.com
Message 5 of 11
jlwetzel

in that case i would use the dont relinquish button that appears when you try to exit the model. this will allow you to exit without saving. you will still need to go back into the central after to relinquish though.
Message 6 of 11
sec-k

> {quote:title=jlwetzel wrote:}{quote}
> in that case i would use the dont relinquish button that appears when you try to exit the model. this will allow you to exit without saving. you will still need to go back into the central after to relinquish though.

That sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd suggest to undo your changes, save to central and relinquish. Users shouldn't be opening up the central file for any reason.
Message 7 of 11
ken
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking that jlwetzel meant to say the local file and not the central file. In anycase I really does not shock me that there isn't any easy way to discard the changes.

Thanks again,
Ken@rlmrlm.com
Message 8 of 11
jlwetzel

sorry... i did mean the local.
Message 9 of 11
Martin__Schmid

If you know you intend on opening the file, but do NOT intend on saving anything back, then you can use the 'Detach from Central' option. In this scenario, any changes you make to the file, including panning in views, etc, do not transparently borrow the elements from the original central file, thus avoiding any iconfusion.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
margaretwiggins

however you will have to re-path all of the links b/c you detached from central.
Message 11 of 11
flight50

i found out that if you want to get out of the drawing and not save even though you touched somethings, while still in the drawing, destroy your link. delete your file on your computer first. get out and then save a new copy from your network.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report