Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Examples

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
KEOSTE
574 Views, 6 Replies

Project Examples

Hi

I have a little request. I've been using revit for around 2months now picking up the aspects of it fairly well, but what I am having trouble with is how to present the drawings so the still show as much detail as previous projects I have done in autocad. ie showing all valves & accessories but also keeping clarity etc. I am mainly focusing on pluming / pipework designs & plant room layouts so if some of you could may be share few examples of your work(pdfs, screen shots) to help explain how best to present my designs it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sandleaz
in reply to: KEOSTE

That's no little request and I am not sure if people are going to post their drawings or screenshots of their drawings on this forum.  Also, it would help if you/senior engineers/client will accept the fact that drawings made revit and drawings made in autocad will look different unless you're just drafting in revit and linking your autocad files.  There's nothing wrong with drawings looking different as long as they're clear and represent your intentions.  I know you like your variety of bowties but do valves look like bowties?  You're going to need to put in extra effort for the bowtie look (especially if you want it to be clean).  Just fix your symbols/abbreviations drawing and include your new representations of valves.

Message 3 of 7
KEOSTE
in reply to: Sandleaz

The "little request" refered to the effort involved in uploading a quick example some work, im sure would take less time that writing a reply but fair enough , I really didnt think it would be a problem for people to showcase a few examples of work they had produced. Sure it would of helped me an maybe a few others as a guide who arnt yet up to the standard of some of the more experienced users.

Thanks anyway for your reply, sure I will find my way.

Cheers

Message 4 of 7
Sandleaz

It's not the effort or time that it takes that makes request not little, it's the willingness of people sharing their work.  Some people are paranoid with whatever they might consider "trade secrets" (there are a few of them where I work and I mock them for that).  Others just don't want to give out information about where they work, about their work, or are concerned about someone identifying their work and getting into trouble.  People have their reasons for not sharing drawings with others. 

Message 5 of 7
KEOSTE
in reply to: Sandleaz

Thats is understandable. I take your point.

Cheers

Message 6 of 7
markmcmicheal

If you truly drew in all the piping in Revit then you'll have the advantage of doing multiple views to get the information across.  You're not limited to just plan views.  We almost always have multiple sections, elevations, adnd 3D views to get the information across to the guys that will be building from your plans.  The more information shown clearly the better they can understand what you're trying to convey.  The caution is "Don't fake stuff in" as it will bite you when it shows wrong in another view. Don't forget that you can use visibility graphic categories, custom made subcategories, and filters to separate systems to get them into simple views that you can annotate cleanly.  Don't be afraid to add more views/sheets if that's what makes the information clear.

As one of the other people replied, its doubtful that anyone is going to share their model as you can then easily extract every custom built family out of it.  It can take hundreds of hours just to build the basic stuff you need for a simple project.  Also, each firm/engineer seems to have "Their" way of what and how they want to show things.  So... Likely your firm will be faced with the task of building the firm standards using Revit components.

If you really want to see what the competition is doing, just go to the plan centers and take a look at what is bidding.

Message 7 of 7
Sandleaz
in reply to: markmcmicheal

The caution is "Don't fake stuff in" as it will bite you when it shows wrong in another view.

That's some great advice that even people I work with should take.  Their faking is masked by not showing any 3D or section views on their drawings and having incomplete piping to go along with it, so I guess that makes it OK (not).

Also, bowties don't look well when showing 2 line piping, stacked piping, piping running perpendicular to your screen (example: vertical piping in plan view), or 3D views (and i am not referring your typical 1 line isometric diagrams) ... I am probably missing some other examples.  If you want to be completely diagramatic when it comes to your drawings, just stick with AutoCAD (or any other equivalent software) and your bowties will be fine!         

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report