Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Arch Link file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
518 Views, 6 Replies

Problems with Arch Link file

I have created a small house plan with Revit Architecture. I added the plumbing fixtures in this file. When I link the file into a MEP project, none of the fixtures are selectable. So I tried to delete these fixtures from the Arch file and tried to add them in the MEP project(like the tutorials) but then the walls don't seem to behave as hosts like they should. Any setting that I should be aware of? I would prefer to add as much of the plumbing stuff to the Arch file as that stuff is usally in the arch drawings by convention. Is this the correct approach?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jrobker
in reply to: Anonymous

The idea is to have the fixtures in the Arch model.
In the Mech model turn them off and add duplicates in place.
The reason they do not attach is because you need to Copy monitor the walls so the fixtures can host.
You can also host to a face or plane.
There is also the option of non hosted fixtures.

Since you are modeling both, than you have alot of control over what you need to do.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for the help! Another thing I forgot to do is copy levels, I'll do that and what you said.

So how exactly do I do the steps you mentioned.? Select all the walls only and then which tab to copy monitor? For the fixtures select all of them, turn off(hide in view?) and then how to do "add duplicates in place"? Sorry, I am very novice. I know the tutorials taught this, so I will try to find it in the meantime. I have the 2010 versions of both programs.

Thanks again. Edited by: bigislander72 on May 15, 2010 12:03 AM
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

If we turn off the architectural model's plumbign fixtures, when I go to
insert my own in MEP, they want to be on the same display item, don't they?
I can get mine and the architectural to display, or neither; not just mine
only. What am I doing wrong?

"bigislander72" wrote in message news:6391968@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks for the help! Another thing I forgot to do is copy levels, I'll do
that and what you said.

So how exactly do I do the steps you mentioned.? Select all the walls only
and then which tab to copy monitor? For the fixtures select all of them,
turn off(hide in view?) and then how to do "add duplicates in place"? Sorry,
I am very novice. I know the tutorials taught this, so I will try to find it
in the meantime. I have the 2010 versions of both programs.

Thanks again.

Edited by: bigislander72 on May 15, 2010 12:03 AM
Message 5 of 7
Jrobker

That is because you are turning off the entire model category.
You need to go to the RVT links tab (in VG) and specifically turn off the plumbing fixture category in the Arch link.

When you are placing a fixture, select place on vertical face.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

but isn't the plumbing fixture category in the architectural link the same
as the plumbing fixture category in my model?

"jrobker" wrote in message news:6393145@discussion.autodesk.com...
That is because you are turning off the entire model category.
You need to go to the RVT links tab (in VG) and specifically turn off the
plumbing fixture category in the Arch link.

When you are placing a fixture, select place on vertical face.
Message 7 of 7
Jrobker

Yes and No.
The categories are for obvious reasons, named the same.

Object styles--> If you make any changes in here, it will effect both linked and resident plumbing fixtures.

Model Categories of the view-->If you make any changes in here, it will override the object styles and effect both linked and resident plumbing fixtures.

Model Catagories of RVT links-->If you make any changes in here, it will only effect the linked plumbing fixtures.

So yes, you can control them both with the same category or you have indenpendent control through the RVT links.

Here is a quick way to turn off the linked fixtures.
Hover over the fixture. Hit tab and it will turn thick lineweight. Right click and select Override graphics in view-->By category.
You will notice that the Model category display settings will take you to the RVT link. Uncheck the highlighed category. If it is not shown. Check the box at the very bottom that says, Show all categories from all disciplines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report