Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ducts splitting and sizing

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
brcannas
2938 Views, 8 Replies

Problem with ducts splitting and sizing

Hello all, I've just started learning Revit MEP (mainly for duct systems) and I found the following problem:

On my project I did a HVAC system with rectangular ducts and I noticed that the duct sizing tool does not split the ducts after a branch (it should do that because after the branch it has less air flow and this will change the air velocity if the size stays the same - correct me if I'm wrong -) so I started to look for a way to split the ducts manually and then use the sizing tool again.

The only way I found to split the ducts was placing rectangular conections after each branch, and after using the sizing tool I got what I wanted.

The problem is that now there's and error message saying that the system is not "well connected" but it won't show me where it is disconnected like it usually does, and because of that error I can't use the system inspector on the system (other than that I didn't find any problems).

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to split the ducts and size them properly without getting this error?

I'm attaching a picture of the error message but it's in portuguese, I can upload the project file if anyone's interested.

Thanks

(I'm using Revit MEP 2012 Educational)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

The "well connected" issue is one that has been around for ever and Autodesk are not very forth coming in explaining how or why this happens and what can be done to solve/prevent this.

Try deleting the system and rebuilding it. That sometimes solves the problem. One way to find out where the problem lies is to gradually build the system starting with the furthest Air Terminal and Mechanical Equipment then adding one terminal at a time.

Sometimes I find that the shoes/taps can cause ducts to move out of perpendicular alignment which introduces minor angle errors. i.e instead of 90 degrees you get 89.99999947 degrees!!

Also check that all ducts are at the correct angles to each other.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
brcannas
in reply to: brcannas

Thank you for the reply! I followed your advice and started deleting sections to see where the problem was and I found out that the problem was the piece marked on the attached image, I deleted it and used branch connectors to replace it.

Message 4 of 9

Hopefully you didn't delete the actual duct work sections only the system in the system browser and then gradually re-built the system  itself - should have explained that more clearly in my initial response.

Strange that that duct fitting cause problems - as it should be no different in priciple to a square Tee, except for the Ashrae table the fitting refers too. Unless you have specified a size of fitting that is not allowable within the Ashrae table.

Thank you!
Message 5 of 9

Now that you mentioned I noticed that this fitting has a blank "ASHRAE Table" attribute, while every other fitting I used has something like SR4-1, I guess my ASHRAE table files doesn't include this fitting

Message 6 of 9

Load the Ashrae table viewer either from Autodesk Labs or from the subscription centre. Then you can see what sizes are acceptable for the fitting. If the duct sizes conencted to the fitting are outside of the table's ranges then you get no value.

Another way to fix it would be to specify either a loss value or a loss coefficient, if you have these from an external source. That should then make the system well connected and also allow system inspection and therefore calculate stuff.

Thank you!
Message 7 of 9

I can't find the problem, I changed the sizes and now the ASHRAE table field is filled, everithing is connected but the problem still persists.

Message 8 of 9

ave you re-built the system in the system explorer as per previous post?

Thank you!
Message 9 of 9

Oh, I thoght I had to remove the air suppliers and then add them again on by one, now I see what you mean.

I did that and it worked

Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report