Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLUMBING-Pipes not visible in the Plumbing Floor Plan

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
19643 Views, 17 Replies

PLUMBING-Pipes not visible in the Plumbing Floor Plan

I am placing default pipes from the tab in the plumbing floor plan.....no pipes are visible there...i tried changing the view range parametres as well...rest all elements such as ducts , elbows etc are visible in the same floor plan......

PLS REFER THE ATTACHED FILE...

the same pipes thogh are visible in the floor plan under HVAC sub head.....

How do i make those pipes visible in the Plumbing floor plan???

i have checked the VG graphics settings the Pipes are checked as visible there.....

Pls help....

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
julianjameson8403
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are using the Autodesk Mech template in 2012 there is an error in it - check the filters as they have applied filters and unchecked one which means that the pipes don't show up.

Also looking at your properties you may want to keep an eye on your reference level and offset when modelling.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: julianjameson8403

By default the pipe was taking the characterstic of the HYDRONIC SUPPLY under the - property pallatte> System type.....

When i changed the pipe to sanitary or other ....it bacame visible......

Can i see somewhere where in the Hydronic supply is made invisible in the particular plan...are these controlled by VG ??

..anyways my prob is solved...

Thanks for your post-   julian.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Hi Julian,,,

i am trying to create an additional floor plan under the subdicipline Plumbing by creating a new level using ARCHITECT tab in section....The new plan which is created comes under the HVAC subhead and not the Plumbing ...how do i resolve this?

Message 5 of 18
julianjameson8403

Firstly - under VG there is the filters tab. Look at that regarding the Hydronic supply filter.

Secondly - to create a new floor plan you don't need to add a new level - you can do so by selecting the view ribbon and create new plan view.

Thirdly - to change the discipline of a view from HVAC to plumbing, look at the properties of the view.

From the basic questions you are asking - I would suggest you go and read Autodesk's tutorials or help files on how to do these simple tasks in RME or try the Wiki help page otherwise you are going to find people are not going to bother helping.

Thank you!
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: julianjameson8403

If what you're saying is that your pipes and connectors are only showing up as symbols, that is because your detail level isn't set to fine.  Bottom left of window next to the scale indicator.... it looks like a little chess board.

Message 7 of 18

under VG -> filters , domestic,sanitary and vent options were unchecked for me.

Message 8 of 18

Thank you for the "to the point" instructions.

Message 9 of 18
Nitishsingh149

Change the system type of pipe from hydronic supply to other system type like domestic cold water or domestic hot water. hydronic system type pipes wont visible in plumbing view, it's only visible in Mech View.

Message 10 of 18

Not sure I understand the logic of this response. A user should change a pipe system type to suit the Revit view template and ignore the system type the user is trying to design and model?? 

The design/model drives the pipe system types and the view templates are created/modified to display correctly on views.

Thank you!
Message 11 of 18

what I'm saying is you can create a new pipe system by duplicating it from other Pipe system (like domestic hot/cot etc) except hydronic supply/return (because it won't visible on plumbing view) and change it's properties as per your project requirements so in that way you don't have to ignore your design. 

Your solution is good but you can you this solution as well and you don't have to ignore your design if you use this solution 

Message 12 of 18
iainsavage
in reply to: Nitishsingh149

Assuming that all you want to do is “draw” pipes, your suggestion would maybe have some validity but the whole point of different system types is that Revit treats them differently for calculation purposes. 
Hydronic supply and return are mainly intended for recirculating circuits such as heating and chilled water and assume a fixed load/flow at each terminal which then adds up through the system to the pump and boiler/chiller/heatpump.

Hot & cold domestic water would normally use a fixture unit method to apply diversity.

I make all of my views Mechanical (plumbing will show up) and then using view filters, I don’t use the Plumbing views at all.

Message 13 of 18
iainsavage

PS: with your method you’d also need to edit families to change their connector classifications - you wouldn’t want to connect a domestic hot water pipe to a radiator which has a hydronic supply connector.

Message 14 of 18
Nitishsingh149
in reply to: iainsavage

IDk why you making it so complicated. you just need to create a new pipe system that's it. I'm not taking about using domestic hot water or cold water system, IDK why you just considering Domestic hot water or cold water. I clearly said that you can create new pipe system, you don't need to edit any family you just need to change the pipe system because hydronic system is not visible in plumbing view because of filter. so if you edit vg you need to do it for all plumbing view but if you just change the system it will be visible in every plumbing view you don't need to do all that work. And tell me one thing how you will arrange it in the Project browser if you will change the discipline?

Message 15 of 18
iainsavage

From your response, I don’t think were going to agree on this.

You are focusing only on visibility in views.

I’m talking about system behaviour in the model.

In response to your question about the browser organisation: sub-discipline.

Message 16 of 18
Nitishsingh149

In that case you can go with @julianjameson8403  solution and remove the hydronic supply from filter and it won't affect system behavior as well. 

And disturbing browser organization just because of visibility is not good idea I think.  

Message 17 of 18
iainsavage

Project Browser organisation is a topic for another post but we have many different sub-categories under the umbrella of the main Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing disciplines so we control that, in the main, by sub-discipline. 
Browser organisation also doesn’t need to be a static thing with only one option - at different stages it might be useful to change the method of sorting to suit the task at hand and also different users may prefer different sort methods. Its only a tool to allow you to find views and sheets.

Getting back to the post topic I agree - use @julianjameson8403 ‘s method instead of playing about with incorrect system type settings - system type is not intended to be primarily for visibility control, it determines the behaviour and calculation methods etc in an intelligent Model rather than just colours and visibility in 2D drawings…and your System Browser will be correctly organised.

Message 18 of 18
Nitishsingh149

Yeah adjusting filter is better than wasting time of organizing project browser. And yes if you just want to make pipe visible you can change system type or edit filter. And if you  really want to use hydronic system property then you can edit filter but don't wast your time on organizing browser untill unless your manager or supervisor ask you do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report