Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing Pipe Elevation Tagging

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
brianbeth
6616 Views, 5 Replies

Plumbing Pipe Elevation Tagging

We are using Revit MEP 2012, and attempting to annotate underground plumbing piping invert elevations.  We've tried to use the Revit "invert elevation" parameter in a pipe tag, but the actual result is false.  Seem to have better luck with using the spot elevation "bottom", which appears to give the correct invert elevation at any given point along the pipe.  Anyone out there wresting with the same issue?  How are you dealing with it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I imagine it is to do with the relationship between the system parameter and the project internal co-ordinates. Grids can have their type set so their elevation base relates to either the project or the shared Coordinates.

The Invert Elevation parameter reports back the pipes invert level in relation to the project base point/elevation base and not the shared co-ordinates or survey point values i.e if the Ground Level is +500m Above Sea Level and the pipe is 1m below ground then the Invert Elevation will be 1m rather than +499.000m.

The spot elevation works because it can relate back to shared co-ordinates. Ideally the Invert elevation tag would have the option to allow either type of elevation base to be used, project or shared.

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to link the Elevation Base and the Invert Elevation of the pipe other than either a note on all 2D information and somewhere in the model (probably a project parameter in Pipes and Pipe fittings, etc) or adding some reference to the Elevation Base in the tag.

For Example :-

Drainage Benchmark Level (DBL) = +500.00m AOD

Invert Level:- DBL - 750mm

where the 750mm is the Invert Elevation parameter value.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, but that's not exactly the problem we're having.  We created a pipe tag that utilizes the Revit parameter "invert elevation".  If you measure the exact dimension in section view, it does not match the number that the parameter produces on the tag in plan view.  I think we've determined that spot elevation is the best way to label pitched piping, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

Message 4 of 6
TonyVav
in reply to: brianbeth

I have been using the out of box "Invert elevation pipe tag" it measures the bottom of the pipe and is fairly acurate. For an elevation at the civil POC I split the element  at the POC and the tag measurement is at the point of the split.

Message 5 of 6

Just tried using the 'end offset' parameter instead of invert elevation in the tag and it worked nicely in this case.

Message 6 of 6
csherman
in reply to: DanetteErnst2982

Does anyone know how to get Invert Elevation to read from sea level?  I put in a level at sea level in the model (-174 feet from the floor) and referenced the pipe to it.  With end offset I get 172.1' or -1.90' from floor.  Using invert elevation at same spot, I get -2.22' from the floor and using spot elevation, I get

-2.148' from the floor.

One thing I noticed, the pipe invert elevation tag reads the actual invert elevation of the pipe, inside bottom, at the lowest point in a sloped section.  I put in a coupling where I want to read the invert in the middle of a sloped section.  Spot Elevation Tag Bottom reads the outside bottom of the pipe, making it .02 lower than the invert elevation. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report