Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help. Plumbing design 3D pipes and complex linetypes together?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
RedMan77
5195 Views, 4 Replies

Please help. Plumbing design 3D pipes and complex linetypes together?

So I find myself in a dilema.  Plumbing drawings on the engineering side are always drawn as a single line with text.  So a cold water line would be -CW- and hot water line would be something like -HW-.  In coarse view the 3D pipes are drawn as a solid, continous single line.  In early stages I was representing the plumbing design with complex linetypes.  But now I find myslef drawing the 3D pipe and not having the ability (or so it seems) to properly display my pipe in coarse view.  We want to take advnateges  of the Revit and progress to a BIM workflow but htis males little sense having to have two parallel designs.  So here are my questions:

1. Do I have to have two systems representing my plumbing design (3D pipe for coordination AND complex linetypes for sheet views)?

2.  Is there a way to insert that complex linetype for my piping types so I only have to draw once? 

I hope I am making sense.  Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
abulla
in reply to: RedMan77

Setting your 3d view to Coarse should turn all your piping to single line. Linetypes with text in them aren't possible in Revit, so you'll have to tag pipes individually. Riser diagrams are possible in most cases, with a little modification. I also want to experiment with the new displaced views feature in 2014 and see if I can make some creative risers using that.

sanitary riser.PNG

Message 3 of 5
RedMan77
in reply to: abulla

We dont do alot of riser diagrams.  How do you approach your design workflow using the piping in revit?  Do you simply draw the 3D pipe in a riser diagram and turn them to sinlge line?  How do you represnet your piping in plan view?  Are they tagged like they are in the riser? 

I am trying to find the most efficient method between drawing my 3D pipe but in the sheet view display them as a single line.  It appears as if I will have to inform the entire department we will have to throw out a long standing practice/standard.  They dont like the idea of not having the text on the linetype to define the piping system.  I understand the this isnt CAD but as most people in charge of implementing Revit know, old habits die hard and often.

Message 4 of 5
RedMan77
in reply to: abulla

So with a little help from a user from AUGI forum and abulla, I think I finally can have the linetype (with text) representing the piping system in sheet view and the 3D pipe on a working view.  At first I wasnt sure how the riser diagram example was going to help but now I understand.  What I was after was the same just no leaders on my pipes. Under the project browser, I go to piping system, create a system (by duplicating an existing one), put the abbreviation for the system (see attachment), go to graphic overrides and select the correct linetype (i.e. dashed for vent).  Then once I draw my piping, I make sure the system abbreviation tag is loaded for pipes.  Tag the pipe and my pipes in plan look the same as they have in CAD.  The small downside is I have to tag a long line of piping several times but thats ok, small price to pay.  Thanks to those who helped.

Message 5 of 5
RedMan77
in reply to: RedMan77

I didnt attach the pic.  Sorry.  Here it is

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report