Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

placeing a recep near a telecom outlet hosts to the telecom instead of wall

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dtiemeyer
382 Views, 5 Replies

placeing a recep near a telecom outlet hosts to the telecom instead of wall

In a working view I have power and data objects displayed, so that I can place the symbols physically near each other. However when I place a receptacle too near (within 12") of a telecom outlet, the receptacle becomes hosted to that telecom outlet instead of the wall. Then if that telecom outlet moves along the wall, the receptacle moves with it (undesired). I'm assuming deleting the telecom outlet would orphan the recep.

Any thoughts?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Assuming it is face based and Revit is detecting the face of the adjacent device, just place the new device a bit further away intially. Then select it and nudge it over by using the arrow key (arbitrary adjustment, make it a little closer) or use the Move tool to be precise. The graphic symbols most devices show are considerably larger, in typical plan views, than the underlying 3D geometry of the device. It's a little easier to just put them near each other and then fine tune their position secondarily.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 6
CoreyDaun

I would either a) place the element a little bit away from the other device and then move it into place from there using whatever means is easiest (Move command, nudging with the arrow keys, using the Align command, etc.) or b) hover the cursor over the desired location and hit Tab - you should only have to hit it once and then click to catch the Wall face.

Side note: I have created Filters that toggle categories such as Casework so that I don't accidentally host anything to that instead.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 6
dtiemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

So how does Revit determine the 'threshold' for snapping to one thing vs another?  I find it hard to belive this is an arbitrary value based on zoom/etc. Is there something modeled in 'content a' like a Solid, or Ref Line, or something else that I could make smaller or delete to negate this problem?

I really do appreciate your feedback, but my engineers like specific answers (they're engineers). And just saying "you gotta get the feel for where the imaginary threshold lies" doesn't go over well. Its what drives them crazy about Revit.

Maybe somebody from Autodesk could chime in?

Unfortunately the 'tab' idea isn't working because even placing it along the wall (temporary dimensions measure to the wall) it will still host to the nearby telecom symbol).

Message 5 of 6
Chris.Aquino

Please post a small smaple file (1 wall, and 2 elements < 10MB) so that we can get a better idea of exaclty what you are seeing.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 6 of 6
dtiemeyer
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Chris, there appears to be a 5mb limit on the forum, so I emailed you the RVT file. Please let me know if you did not receive my email. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report