Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piping Problem

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bwd031
305 Views, 10 Replies

Piping Problem

This problem just started so im guessing i must have changed a setting without realizing and dont know how to change it back.

Heres what happening. Im trying to draw a pipe 90 degrees off an existing pipe. When im done the angle of the existing pipe changes. It also happens when i draw a new pipe with an elbow.

The last time i saved the file was the day before and i wasnt having this problem when i saved it. I havent saved it since then and i have closed it without saving and opened it back up and still have the problem. This is the only file im having problems with.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: bwd031

Sounds like you've got a corrupted elbow family. Try reloading that Elbow family. When prompted to override existing parameter values, choose to do so.

If you're not prompted to overwrite the existing family, then you'll need to re-save the version in your catalog. I usually change a parameter value then change it back to it's original value. Then save the family. After that you should be able to overwrite the family definition in your model.

Does that fix the problem?

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11
bwd031

That fixed it, thanks.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Kyle,

Has it been determined what causes the families to become corrupt? I have been dealing with this on a repetitive basis. Reloading
the family works, but I would like to find out what is causing it, so if it is "user caused" I can stop doing it.

Thanks,
John

wrote in message news:5588337@discussion.autodesk.com...
Sounds like you've got a corrupted elbow family. Try reloading that Elbow family. When prompted to override existing parameter
values, choose to do so.

If you're not prompted to overwrite the existing family, then you'll need to re-save the version in your catalog. I usually change
a parameter value then change it back to it's original value. Then save the family. After that you should be able to overwrite the
family definition in your model.

Does that fix the problem?

Kyle B
Message 5 of 11
aschrader

Are you reloading the whole family or the corrupted element? I am having the same problem with an elbow and wondering if I open the element and save it and load it will that work or will I have to load the whole family.

Thanks
Message 6 of 11
TimGe

This problem is driving me crazy! First it happened on my Rectangular Duct Radius Elbows, now the same problem happens on my PVC Sanitary elbows. I believe Saving To Central causes the problem. Why Saving To Central causes it to happen, is another question. I have even reloaded the Rectangular Duct Radius Elbows from the second build of Revit MEP 2008 and the problem persists, though I have not updated the program. Does anybody know how to solve this issue that MANY users are having? Thanks. -Tim Geiser, LEO A DALY, Minneapolis
Message 7 of 11
jason.martin

Hi Tim -

I'll start off with a semi-technical explaination of what's happening and why you (might) see this behavior when you do a save to cental.

We have identified a specific case that when routing segments (i.e. ducts or pipes) where the family definition that is loaded into to project is being modified by the program. In most cases one of the constraints or dimensions in the "last added" family will be removed from the family definition. This removal of a constraint causes the family definition to not behave correctly.

Since the family definition lives only once in the project, when you save to central (you also do a reload latest) if the family definition has been "corrupted" by some other user you will get this new (and incorrect) family definition and your project will start to behave badly.

The good: We (at least think) that in Web Release 2 have identified the case where the program is incorrectly modifying the family and told it to quite doing that.

The bad: This won't fix an already "broken" family, so if you have a project that is behaving badly it will continue to do so until the family definition is fixed.

If, after installing RTW 2 (and everyone involved in the project must also install RTW 2) you still have the problem please contact support. This has been a problem that was very hard to identify, as we always had a version of the file that behaved badly, but it was extremely hard to identify the "moment" at which the project started behaving badly.

jason
Message 8 of 11
TimGe

Jason,
Thank you for your well thought out reply. I completely with your line that, "This has been a problem that was very hard to identify." My office is planning on updating to RTW 2 as we rollout our 2008 Autodesk products in the next few weeks. I really like your technical explaination.

On another note, do you know of any good speakers or conventions coming up that specialize in Revit MEP 2008? I would like to meet and discuss issues like this one, with the industry's experts. I have seen many courses out there, but none seem to have topics as advanced as what we are talking about here. Thanks. -Tim Geiser, LEO A DALY, Minneapolis
Message 9 of 11
TimGe

BTW, I assume you work for Autodesk right? If that is correct, I would like to suggest that you put 'Autodesk' after your name. I like how KyleB is listed as, 'Kyle B [Autodesk]'. It lets the forum users know that the advice is more valuble. Thanks again. -Tim Geiser, LEO A DALY, Minneapolis
Message 10 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk

Yep he does. Jason's our Product Design Manager, he's been designing on the Revit MEP team since we decided to create an MEP-specific Revit app. You'll be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable person than Jason when it comes to Revit MEP.

I'll pass along your request.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 11
Martin__Schmid

Hi Tim--

Speakers and conventions specific to RMEP... Autodesk University comes to mind.

I'll be there all week, and presenting several classes that are RMEP specific. At those classes, I'm sure you'd run into several others just like yourself.

Incidently, I'm still in the process of putting my materials together for the classes, so if you have some sticking points, and they fall into the category for one of the classes, I'll try to include the workflow information.

Cheers-
MS

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report