Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piping Connecting to side of main. Would like to connect on top.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sforsberg215
445 Views, 3 Replies

Piping Connecting to side of main. Would like to connect on top.

Hi

I am sure it is a checkbox somewhere in MEP 2012. How do I get my domestic water pipe to connect to the top of the mains, NOT the side, as is happening now?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dennis
in reply to: sforsberg215

When in doubt, or just can't get it to do what you want, try cutting a section view and draw in the pipe from that view.  But, you should be able to do it from a plan view as well.  Are you branch lines higher in elevation than the main?  If so, just drawing the branch over to the main should cause it to drop down to the main and on be on top. 

Message 3 of 4
Jrobker
in reply to: dennis

No, not a check box.

It is based off the elevation of both pipes, the diameters and fittings.

Example if I have a 6" main and my branch line is 6'3 there is not enough room for a tee off the top and elbow over.

If the height of the branch line is greater than the main dia*2 above your mian, than your good.

Atleast for me it will connect from the top every time. Not saying that's good. I would like to see better connection control points, like choosing the angle.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 4 of 4
sforsberg215
in reply to: Jrobker

Top pipe connections solution:

Tricky. Must have 2 pipe diameters above main.

Must have 2 pipe diameters above main.

1. Snap to main and hit space bar.
  2. In the size and elevation boxes which appear below the ribbon, type in size of branch and elevation, hit the apply button.
  3. Snap to your new vertical pipe and draw horizontal pipe.

Now, the HW piping will connect with an elbow down to attach vertically to main. The CW piping will not. The method above seems work very consistently, if you don't miss a step.

Hope this helps other newbies like me.  ; )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report