Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipes Risers/Droppers - Ceiling/Floor Plan

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
CADArmor
4850 Views, 13 Replies

Pipes Risers/Droppers - Ceiling/Floor Plan

Problem please HELP - Please see image 01 attached. In our drawings we have always set our drawings up this way, if the pipes run in ceiling cavity we will use Reflected Ceiling Plan because our sprinklers are attached to the ceiling and if the pipes run below ceiling we will use Floor Plan. Recently discovered if looking at the Ceiling Plan our pipes appeared to be rising instead of dropping and if you set up a Floor Plan the pipes appear to drop down which is correct. The View Range is identical for both plans – looking down from above. Can someone please help?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dvilleneuve
in reply to: CADArmor

In a Plan view the orientation is top looking down. On a Ceiling Plan the orientation is from the floor looking up which is why Up/Down is reversed.

The way we handle that is to shut off all piping on the ceiling plan and only show hosted elements (sprinklers). On the floor plan we turn on our sprinklers and route all piping from them.

Then on the sheet we place the Floor Plan view and then the Ceiling plan view on top to represent the ceiling grids and patterns. 2 views placed in the same place on the sheet.

It won't matter that you are showing sprinklers in both plans since they will line up on the sheet and you won't even notice.

Message 3 of 14
AnmarieJames8335

A reflected ceiling plan, both in drafting theory and in Revit, looks up from below. It's meant to show the ceiling and anything set into it. Anything above the ceiling will show hidden or dashed because it's considered "beyond" the ceiling plane. To get your piping symbols to show above the ceiling the same way they do below, you'll need to create another floor plan view, this one with the View Range set higher to eliminate items below the ceiling. Anmarie
Message 4 of 14
CADArmor
in reply to: dvilleneuve

Thank you for your explanation. Much appreciated. Problem solved! -- Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering. http://www.mailguard.com.au
Message 5 of 14

Or alternatively place a new level in your model set to the ceiling height which basically shows the contents of the ceiling void. Easier than taking a floor plan based on the floor level and messing about with heights above the floor to capture the contents of the ceiling void.

One thing to be aware of though is, differing ceiling heights and the effect this will have on view ranges, etc. You may have to piece together either different floor plans or call out to achieve the required look.

Don't bother with plan regions - this don't work overly well for MEP stuff.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 6 of 14
CADArmor

Thanks Mate,

We created two plans, ceiling and floor plan. All our services are drafted in Ceiling (Only for aligning sprinkler with ceiling grids) and Floor Plan.

This is what we've done:

(1) We overlaid both plans on a sheet.

(2) Align them using Grid Lines

(3) In Floor Plan Go to VG - Revit Links and untick architectural background. (Only showing services)

(4) In Ceiling Plan Go to VG and turn off all Services in Worksets. (Only showing ceiling plan.)  

This will show floor plan (only showing piping and sprinklers) overlaid on a ceiling plan (only showing a ceiling plan)

The only problem is time and it’s quite hard to align them perfectly. 

Message 7 of 14
dvilleneuve

When placing a view on top of another view in a sheet you should be able to locate the views center point both horizontally and vertically.

When placing the second view slowly cross over the sheet and you should see a blue dashed line come up, then slowly bring your view up until you see another blue dashed line.

When you see both lines on the sheet crossing over eachother click to place your plan and they should be lined up.

Message 8 of 14
CADArmor

Heya mate,

Thank you but I found another way and much easier and faster. Firstly create a ceiling plan only showing the ceiling. Secondly in floor plan underlay with the new ceiling plan you’ve created. (Underlay Orientation). Your plan will show symbols correctly on a ceiling plan but actually it's remains floor plan.

Message 9 of 14

Yep - forgot about underlay option. Don't use it that often so not high on my list of methods. However will remember for future - thanks.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 10 of 14
mirakation

can someone please help. i dont know how to show the pipework dropper in hidden lines. is there a quickway to do this? i use revit mep 2012 and i have already set linework hidden in MEp settings. refer to attached snap shot please.

Thank you

Message 11 of 14
CADArmor
in reply to: mirakation

Yes there is another way. Go to Visiblility Grapics (see image attached).  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
CADArmor
in reply to: mirakation

Do you have your pipes set on a filter? Because if you do then Graphics Override wont' work unless you remove the Filter.

--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au
Message 13 of 14
hodish

Hi CADArmor, can you please explain how exactly you did this. I’m trying to follow your method but it is not working. What I’m missing?????? Thanks a bunch

Message 14 of 14
CADArmor

What you should be doing is drawing your pipes in a floor plan not in a ceiling plan. A ceiling plan is looking from below and a floor plan is looking from above. So create a floor plan and then change underlay orientation to reflected ceiling plan. If you can’t see your ceiling grids then fine tune your view range and also check if ceiling grids are turned on in visible graphics.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report