Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Schedule Cost for different Size

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
danielkazado
4019 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe Schedule Cost for different Size

Hi All,

I created a Pipe Schedule and want to enter Cost in the schedule. When I enter a cost for any pipe it applies the same value to all similar Pipe Types. I want to enter different cost to different pipe sizes as it is actual.

Is there a way to either to disable auto cost entrance to all Pipe Types or change the reference to Pipe Size to apply the Cost.

Thanks

Daniel Kazado

Daniel Kazado

Please use Accept as Solution if your question is answered.
You may Give Kudos if the answer is helpful.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
AJA14
in reply to: danielkazado

Hi,
The cost is relevant to the material. Every meter run of a certain material costs a certain amount. Maybe you can create different materials (names) for different sizes and add a parameter for the material name to state the same material for all.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 11
danielkazado
in reply to: AJA14

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. However the cost is based on Pipe Type , and I can not give different pipe type for each size (diameter) of pipe as I use this for Routing Preferences. 

The issue is when I give a cost to 2" pipe it applies to all other sizes of the same Pipe Type. 

Regards 

Daniel Kazado

Daniel Kazado

Message 4 of 11
CoreyDaun

I think the best method would be to create a Calculated Value in your Pipe Schedule that calculates the cost based on the default "Cost" parameter and the diameter, but more information would be needed to create said formula. Please explain how the costs for the different sizes would be derived, for instance if it would be a simple percentage increase to the Pipe Type's Cost based on Diameter.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 11
danielkazado
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The unit price for each diameter is based on manufacturer prices and could not be calculated based on diameter or a unit price. Therefore I was not able to create a Calculated Field. The only alternative may be for each diameter to calculate the weight in a field and than calculate the price based on this weight. 

In that case the same problem will be applicable for Pipe Fittings. I can not give different cost for different diameters. So I am trying to find a way to change the way cost looking when we enter. Cost looks for the Same Family and Type and copy the same cost, however I need it to look also diameter or any other parameter that I would create.

Regards

Daniel Kazado

Daniel Kazado

Message 6 of 11
CoreyDaun

danielkazado wrote:

"Thanks for the reply. The unit price for each diameter is based on manufacturer prices and could not be calculated based on diameter or a unit price. Therefore I was not able to create a Calculated Field. The only alternative may be for each diameter to calculate the weight in a field and than calculate the price based on this weight."

Alright, then in lieu of attempting to create a painfully complex formula, I would suggest creating a new Project Parameter (Type/Currency/Pipes) for each applicable pipe size. That way, you would be able to specify the cost for each specific Pipe Type and Size. In the Pipe Schedule, create a Calculated Value to determine which cost to report based on the Pipe's Diameter. See example below.

Parameter

Name

Value
Cost_0.75 1.00
Cost_1.00 1.50
Cost_1.25 2.00
Cost_1.50 3.00
Cost_2.00 4.50

The following Calculated Value formula will choose the appropriate Cost Parameter based on the Pipe's Diameter:

= if(Diameter = 2", Cost_2.00, if(Diameter = 1 1/2", Cost_1.50, if(Diameter = 1 1/4", Cost_1.25, if(Diameter = 1", Cost_1.00, Cost_0.75))))

danielkazado wrote:

"In that case the same problem will be applicable for Pipe Fittings. I can not give different cost for different diameters. So I am trying to find a way to change the way cost looking when we enter. Cost looks for the Same Family and Type and copy the same cost, however I need it to look also diameter or any other parameter that I would create."

In regard to the Pipe Fittings, you could simply create a Shared Parameter within the Family and either create a formula similar to the above or add the cost listings to the Pipe Fitting's Lookup Table. Or, you could use the exact same method as you would with the Pipes above, and enter the values manually in the Project.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions or need assistance with anything!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 11
danielkazado

Dear Corey,

Thanks for your reply, it was right to the point. I have 2 more questions and will appreciate if you can give some idea.

1. I want to have custom BOM (Bill Of Material) data for the same items. I included a column in Lookup Table as " BOM##text## " is this right name and how shall be the formula to call this to a Parameter. The data I will call will be something like " Welded_Elbow_DN50mm". size_lookup did not workes.

2. I want to have zone data for the items to enable quantity by zone. I made a  Multi-Category Schedule but as these pipes are very selfish their zone data did not come to the table and all other items have Zone data in the schedule. Alternative1 is to select the pipes and enter ZONE value manually. Do you have any other idea to have ZONE data in the schedule. It seems similiar for the Floor data.

Thanks

Daniel Kazado 

Daniel Kazado

Message 8 of 11
CoreyDaun

danielkazado wrote:

"1. I want to have custom BOM (Bill Of Material) data for the same items. I included a column in Lookup Table as " BOM##text## " is this right name and how shall be the formula to call this to a Parameter. The data I will call will be something like " Welded_Elbow_DN50mm". size_lookup did not workes." 

Text does not work in Lookup Tables - I was recently trying to get that to work, too. And since Revit has no Ability to combine multiple Text Strings, something like that can quickly become an extensively long formula consisting if several levels of IF/THEN statements (attached is one of my extreme examples). If you would like to pursue this avenue, I would be happy to assist.

danielkazado wrote:

"2. I want to have zone data for the items to enable quantity by zone. I made a  Multi-Category Schedule but as these pipes are very selfish their zone data did not come to the table and all other items have Zone data in the schedule. Alternative1 is to select the pipes and enter ZONE value manually. Do you have any other idea to have ZONE data in the schedule. It seems similiar for the Floor data."

Pipes are not "Space/Room Aware" and therefore cannot report their location. Pipes frequently cross between more than one Space, so it wouldn't have a good way to show that on a Schedule. The only method I can suggest would be to manually enter such as value, as you said.

Message 9 of 11
danielkazado

🙂 🙂

I was able to do all this (call space,create BOM, cost and etc.) with AUTOCAD MEP Property Set Data and export to ERP with the software I made. It came strange to me that I can not do with REVIT which shall be more BIM then AUTOCAD MEP.

Thanks that you give me information that nothing is wrong with me at least. It seems to take only quantity from REVIT and load other datas in different software will be better. I will definetly inform you if I may find any way around.

NOTE: I liked your formula it is a good job, but it is interesting that REVIT enable this formula but not combine text with a  & only.

Regards 

Daniel Kazado

Daniel Kazado

Message 10 of 11
RickGraham

holy If...THEN statements, Batman!

Rick

Rick

Message 11 of 11
hjdelapena

try duplicating your pipe type but with different sizes and manually type-in the cost.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report