Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Insulation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CarrieHoffman02
3100 Views, 4 Replies

Pipe Insulation

How do I add insulation to pipe before I draw it. Right now I am drawing my pipe then I have to seleect the pipes and add insulation, then select each fitting and add it. It is really time consuming and annoying. Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Carrie

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
asommer
in reply to: CarrieHoffman02

Yeah, after many versions and upgrades, this is still not an option.  I don't know of any way around it.

Message 3 of 5

Hmmm.. try to select the pipe tool. Then, before you click on your drawing area, go to the properties palette and scroll down and search for the insulation thickness. Set your desired value then start your layout. 

Message 4 of 5

for the pipe fittings, you can select the fitting and "right click" & "select all instances > visible to view" to select the same type of fittings on your current view/plan. If ever you have selected an area/fitting you do not want, you can remove them from your selection (hold shift then select the fittings). After you have selected the fittings that you want to modify, go to properties palette then input a value for insulation.

Message 5 of 5

For Pipe fittings - edit the family and create another type with the name insulation in its title and then add the required insulation there. If you have varying insulation thicknesses, this can be controled by using if/then formulas or you can create several types. Load it back into your project and create a new pipe type with insulation in the title. Set your new fittings to be used by the insulated pipe family and that will solve that problem.

As for pipes - yes you can. To get it to work select the pipe tool and in properties add the insulation thickness you require. Cancel the pipe command (unless you are not worried about connecting to equipment, etc.) and then right click on the connector of he family you want to pipe from/to and draw your layout. Notice in the properties that the insulation is automatically applies. If you nee to draw pipe without then perfrom the above process making sure you remove the insulation. Note though that you cannot seem to right click on the equipment first and then amend the insulation - but I guess from your question you already know that! Smiley Happy

This method seems to follow the same principle Revit adopts for deciding what level to reference objects to when drawing in sections and elevations - referencing objects to the level last modelledon.

Also look at using schedules. These are very useful tools for even the smallest tasks like adding insulation. Use a pipe schedule to add the insulation to the runs of pipe requiring them - in big batches.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report