Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe clamp

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sujeev
3148 Views, 12 Replies

Pipe clamp

Hi

I am looking for a pipe clamp family but unfortunately I couldn't get one. If anyone has one could you please send me that? I have different pipe sizes ranging from 50 to 300 dia.

Thanks and regards

SUJEEV.T.K

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: sujeev

Have you check with a manufacturer's website to see if they've got such a family available for download?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
Sandleaz

Why not create one yourself?  Why trust a manufacturer or anyone else for getting you REVIT families.  I've seen plenty of inaccurate and terrible REVIT families by manufacturers and don't bother with almost any of them.  An adjustable pipe clamp family looks like it can be created in maybe 1/2 an hour and something you'll at least be content with because you created it. 

Here's my suggestion: go find a drawing of a pipe clamp from your favorite pipe clamp manufacturer and create a REVIT family based of that. 

Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Sandleaz

I've seen plenty of ugly families from manufacturer's too, but I've seen some "OK" ones. I would agree that creating your own would be the best option, provided that you've got the means and methods. There are many tutorials out there if needed - either search this forum for references or search YouTube. Learning and knowing how to create a family is a powerful ability.

"Give a man a family, and you've helped him for a project. Teach a man to [make a] family, and you've helped him for a career."

- Butchered Chinese Proverb

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
sujeev
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Could you please refer me some good tutorials for making family. I am having problem with parametric objects in family. It is still appreciated if someone send me a pipe clamp family as it is taking much time while I experiment with making a family.

Thanks and regards

SUJEEV.T.K

Message 6 of 13
Sandleaz

Experimenting, trial and error, is the best way of learning REVIT and making REVIT families.  You learn from what doesn't work and what works.  In the beginning, it might take some time ... but as you learn from failures and successes and create more families, they will tend to get better and more complex than their predecessors.  Allowing someone else to do the work for you or even using tutorials to mimic other people's way of creating families (and there are a lot of different ways of creating families) kills the learning process. 

Message 7 of 13
CoreyDaun

@Anonymous wrote:

"Could you please refer me some good tutorials for making family. I am having problem with parametric objects in family. It is still appreciated if someone send me a pipe clamp family as it is taking much time while I experiment with making a family."

I don't have any specific suggestions, but you should find some references by searching this forum or even YouTube. 

@Sandleaz wrote:

"Experimenting, trial and error, is the best way of learning REVIT and making REVIT families.  You learn from what doesn't work and what works.  In the beginning, it might take some time ... but as you learn from failures and successes and create more families, they will tend to get better and more complex than their predecessors.  Allowing someone else to do the work for you or even using tutorials to mimic other people's way of creating families (and there are a lot of different ways of creating families) kills the learning process."

I agree with you for the most part, but without at least a basic understanding of how to use Revit and the family editor, one can fiddle around with it all day and not learn a thing. It being simply above a person's head. You have to have somewhere to start in order to learn efficiently. If someone give you the tools and tells you to go modify a car engine (assuming one doesn't know anything about them, nor even how to properly use all the tools) then blindly tooling around with the engine won't do him much good at all. And it will take FOREVER if he even can possibly succeed. Likewise, having some kind of tutorial or instruction to start with will grant some starting knowledge to build from.

Message 8 of 13
sujeev

Thanks for the reply. I was doing the same trial and error method for learning. I know that  is the best way to develop. Regarding making families I succeeded in some occasions but failed in some. I tried to make an AHU and I succeeded in that. But when I try to make a compressor I failed because the compressor has 3 parts. And when I change the parameters like height width etc it is not behaving as I would like. I have a box and within that an inlet and outland when I change size all three will change its size and will locate in different positions.

Regarding pipe clamp, it is not an essential thing in my project. But my boss wants that just for a view purpose. Because its not essential I have lack of interest in trying this trial and error method. That's why I was looking for a family so that I could finish it off and concentrate in making my compressor.

I did try some tutorials but I couldn't find it useful. Sorry if I bother you.

Thanks and regards

SUJEEV.T.K

Message 9 of 13
Sandleaz

In my opinion, learning REVIT falls into the category of fiddling around and getting something to work which is different than trying to modify a car engine (although some people might succeed without knowing / having experience with car engines).  Same with learning to program ... you probably need a book or take some classes to learn C++.  REVIT API and programming probably falls into this category as well.  With general REVIT families, there's a lot of variety and you can't really screw anything up so you can mess around with it.          

My colleagues at work usually ask me for help with REVIT or creating REVIT families (when they can't find them on the internet).  I am glad to help but always tell them to try to do it themselves first.  What I should do is let them figure it out on their own and not give them any help ... that way they learn by themselves and ask less and less for me to help them.    

Message 10 of 13
Sandleaz

But when I try to make a compressor I failed because the compressor has 3 parts. And when I change the parameters like height width etc it is not behaving as I would like. I have a box and within that an inlet and outland when I change size all three will change its size and will locate in different positions.

Constraining is very important when creating more complicated families.  REVIT likes certain ways of constraining better than other ways of constraining.  It's definitely something you can mess around with if you have time.  Just add more parameters, reference planes, lines, ... to get it to work.  Don't overconstrain though .... REVIT does not like that. 

Sorry if I bother you.

Not a bother and no problem. 

Message 11 of 13
CoreyDaun

sujeev, this is what the forums are for - if there's anything you need, just ask! (Though this doesn't exactly guarantee that you'll get what you asked for...)

@Sandleaz wrote:

"My colleagues at work usually ask me for help with REVIT or creating REVIT families (when they can't find them on the internet).  I am glad to help but always tell them to try to do it themselves first.  What I should do is let them figure it out on their own and not give them any help ... that way they learn by themselves and ask less and less for me to help them."

I'm in the exact same boat - I'm the go-to guy for all things Revit (among other things). And yes, making them do the work and especially figuring it out themselves it the best way to remember and learn. However, there are two major factors involved that prevent them from learning it or figuring out something on their own: Time and Patience.

We have jobs due. Typically yesterday, and to make them go through this process of self-teaching is often impractical. But even when there is time, by doing it themselves, I have seen some atrocious monstrosities due to laziness and frustration, when then say, "that's good enough." I will ultimately have to repair and clean these up!

My preferred method (time permitting) is to walk them through the complex problems, with them leading. That is, to let them decide and figure out what to do, and allow them to make non-catastrophic mistakes. Then I can explain, and point them in the correct direction. I will not simply do it for them unless there's no time otherwise.

Message 12 of 13
sujeev

Thanks for the reply. I am attaching the family that I was trying to make. Could you please have a look and tell me what's that I am missing. I think it is something related to reference plane. But I couldn't figure it out. I made the block for compressor 1. Then I try to make compressor 2 and 3. But its not working properly. I don't want you to rectify the problem and send me back the file. I want to know what's the point that I am missing. I have to make more families so it would be a real help for me. I have spent almost 7 working days to rectify it.

thanks and regards

SUJEEV.T.K

Message 13 of 13
Sandleaz

Sujeev,  

• Compressor 1 and 2 are having the same values for their parameters.  
  • Constrain the extrusions to the planes.  Just having the planes dimensioned does nothing unless you constrain your extrusions to them.
  • You have EQ dimensions that you're trying to center the planes about but you need another dimension to tell them the distance (overall dimension or a dimension from one of them to something else).  You can use the parameters you created.
  • Your end extrusion is a void that noone will see because it's sticking out.  Did you want to create a solid that's sticking out or cut into your big extrusion?
  • You should send a drawing or selection of what you're trying to model.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report