Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing and hidden lines

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
mmouvet
9578 Views, 26 Replies

Phasing and hidden lines

I have a problem with New Works and hidden lines.

Existing model elements like pipes and pumps and fittings all have hidden line detail.

Whereas the New Works elements (also Pipes, fittings and Mech equipment) do not. All new works, regardless of weather the pipes cross over each other or over equipment, they are still solid line.

Discipline and sub discipline are Mech and HVAC respectively. 

I have attached some images to illustrate what I am having trouble with.

The larger image has 3 areas highlighted in red.

Number 1 clearly shows hidden line detail on existing elements.

Number 2 shows New elements shown as bold continuous lines.

Number 3 shows I have the view at fine detail, hidden line.

The second attachment shows how my phase filters are set up.

The 3rd shows how my visibility graphics are set up. 

Where do I find the setting where hidden lines can override all phasing? 

Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: The same applies to my centre lines.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
bradpark
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Wow, who knew there are about 10 different places you can override the graphics of each piece. I guess they all serve their purpose. This worked. We had someone outside of our office develop our templates and they changed the graphics of each pipe/duct system.

I will say this has created another issue for me though. Once I take off the overrides that were associated to that particular pipe system, I now have no color coding of piping and duct systems. What would be the best way to keep a certain system a particular color you can keep track of what is what?

Again, I appreciate the help on this! 

Message 22 of 27
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bradpark

You have to determine your priorities. You can just leave a color override on the system graphics and it would change the center line styles as long as the line pattern is set to "<No Override>". If you need those line pattern overrides, then you'll have to deal with the center line override, too.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 23 of 27
bradpark

Wait, so there is no way to have the piping a color (say green) and the hidden line and/or center line be gray? 

I know I'm relatively new to Revit and there are going to be some things I need to do differently than the way I did them in AutoCAD MEP, but this is essentially an industry standard and I can't believe Autodesk would not have corrected this in all the years they've been producing Revit. When you have many different piping systems and duct systems in a particular project, having them all as black can make it very confusing and difficult to keep track of what is what. This is one of the most basic and fundamental functions of program that an MEP designer needs... 

Sorry for the little rant I just can't believe that is the case.

Message 24 of 27
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bradpark

The only way to achieve a gray centerline and a green pipe is to not use any Filter or System graphic overrides and to make the Pipe category green and the Center Lines subcategory gray. You will not be able to use color to distinguish between different Piping Systems this way, though; all Pipe will display green.

This seems like a very trivial issue, honestly, because unlike AutoCAD, Revit does not assign line weights by color; that's a separate setting. So, the only effect of this is aesthetic and does not serve a functional purpose. Keep in mind that these are different programs and have fundamental differences, many of which aren't reconcilable.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 25 of 27
bradpark

I completely understand why AutoCAD had those colors originally and I also don't want to sound like someone trying to turn my Revit into AutoCAD but the colors are extremely useful when you have many different piping systems or duct systems. I suppose it is something I'll have to get used to but honestly it's like AutoCAD could handle that but Revit can't? Just seems weird. 

Message 26 of 27
Charles.Ball
in reply to: mmouvet

I know I am coming in late, but I have a slightly different issue. How do I show the existing portion of a plumbing system using the same line style as the new portion?

Currently I have an existing pipe that is being tapped for a new sink. In the New Construction phase the existing pipe shows as gray and continuous. The new CW pipe shows blue and a line pattern of "center 3/8". The colors I am ok with, but how do I make the line styles the same?

Message 27 of 27
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Charles.Ball

Since the Phase Graphics Overrides (under the Manage Tab > Phases) are strongly prioritized, you'd have to remove the Line Graphics Pattern Override for the Existing Phase Filter as illustrated in 'Solution' post #10. If you don't want to remove this override since it affects the entirety of the project, then the only other option I can immediately think of would be to create a View Filter that applies the desired line pattern for each Piping System, and in turn add each such View Filter to every applicable view (View Templates help, though). I hope the former will suffice since the latter is a pain! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report