Revit MEP

Contributor
KEOSTE
Message 1 of 3 (267 Views)
Accepted Solution

Parametric Family Creation

267 Views, 2 Replies
09-19-2012 01:27 AM

Hi just a quick question about parametric family creation.

I am creating a library of mechanical familys and have come across a problem when producing some of the parametric types. For example I have just created a VAV Box  which comes available in 3 sizes. My problem is that the small & medium models are identical other than size and work fine when changing the parametric properties but the larger model has a few parts not incuded that are shown in the other models. I was wondering if there is a way to isolate or remove cretain parts of a model inside different parametric types or would I simply have to create a separte family for the larger model.

Thanks

Ste

You should create the pieces/parts as seperate individual families  that are not consistant across ALL Types you are setting up in the Family.  Then Insert them one at a time as "Nested" Families, and apply a YES/NO Parameter to the visibility param for each piece.  Then when you set up each TYPE, simply apply a YES or a NO for the appropriate parts, thus turning on or off.

HTH

Contributor
MikeMaloney
Message 2 of 3 (259 Views)

Re: Parametric Family Creation

09-19-2012 04:29 AM in reply to: KEOSTE

You should create the pieces/parts as seperate individual families  that are not consistant across ALL Types you are setting up in the Family.  Then Insert them one at a time as "Nested" Families, and apply a YES/NO Parameter to the visibility param for each piece.  Then when you set up each TYPE, simply apply a YES or a NO for the appropriate parts, thus turning on or off.

HTH

Mike Maloney
BIM Design Automation Coordinator
CH2M Hill
Contributor
KEOSTE
Message 3 of 3 (209 Views)

Re: Parametric Family Creation

09-21-2012 02:22 AM in reply to: MikeMaloney

Hi, thank you for your reply. sorry for my  late response. I tried your method and it works great.

Cheers

Ste

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.