Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter Organizer melt down

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
revitworkbench
4620 Views, 11 Replies

Parameter Organizer melt down

Hello,

So I got really excited about the supposed ability to organize your parameters in 2015. However, after I got all may parameters grouped, categorized and otherwise looking pretty in a nice common sense way, I loaded it into the project just so Revit could completely melt down everything I just tried to do placing the parameters anywhere it  __ well pleased. I tried unloading the family from the project resaving both the family and the project, and reloading it back in only to have it do it again! What am I missing? Or is this just a completely useless and over hyped feature of 2015? Thanks for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

What is Parameter Organizer, is it an addin?

can you please send me some screenshots of the addin, and the issue in question

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 12

No, there’s a new ability to order and sort parameters within the Family editor in Revit 2015. Except it works pretty terribly.

Message 4 of 12

I am not able to reproduce the issue. are you able to give me answers to these questions

Do you have a family i could look at,

is this family originally from a previous version

and which Revit update do you have?

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 12

Also is this an existing family that you are overwrite in the project

Does this happen as well if the family been uploaded in a new project where the family doesn't exist initially

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 6 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Alaaeldin,

I agree with Michael. The issue is that when you are in the family editor you can sort and group the parameters the way you want. That was a nice recent improvement. However when you load that family into a project and then select an instance of the family you can find some paramters in different places.

In this screenshot from the family editor you see Dim_Weight parameter under the category construction

Family Editor.png

While loading that family into the project you will see that the same parameter has moved to the dimensions group.

Project Browser.png

I believe it has something to do with how it is organized within the project. When you have the same shared parameter in different families and you start loading them in It might be the case that in one of the families this "Dim_Weight" parameter was grouped under 'dimensions' and in another family under 'construction'. It appears Revit uses a grouping of the shared parameters under a project setting and not on a family bases.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 7 of 12
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: L.Maas

I talked to the development and they aware of the issue and they trying to fix it for the upcoming released

To better understand what's happening 

Shared parameters are shared between families in the project. The first family to load a shared parameter definition into the project defines the behavior of the parameter (in other words when loading a family into the project the description stored in the document is the one that is used). In this case, there was probably a family that was loaded with these parameters defined as "Other than the one from the family". Note that loading the same family into a default Autodesk template does not have this issue. This behavior is unchanged from 2013 and is working as expected.

As summary (any shared parameter definitions in the project that are not tied to the current shared parameter file. )

The biggest problem is the shared parameter definition in the document cannot be edited (or deleted!) from the project. Purge unused also does not clear these definitions. There is no way for the customer to fix their file.

The only workaround I can suggest is creating a new shared parameter definition (new parameter in the shared parameter file), so that the definition in the project can be redefined.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 8 of 12
FAIR59
in reply to: revitworkbench

if you have the shared parameter file, you can relocate a shared parameter to another parametergroup (for all families in the model). Make a new project parameter using the shared parameter and choose the desired Parameter Group. After accepting the project parameter, you can remove it from the project, the shared parameter will remain in the new Parameter Group..
Message 9 of 12
revitworkbench
in reply to: FAIR59

Ok well I have the parameter file but can Im not sure I follow you. Can you be a little more specific please?

Message 10 of 12
FAIR59
in reply to: revitworkbench

Let's assume the shared parameter "myParameter"is listed under parametergroup "Constraints". To list the parameter under "Dimensions": - Add Project Parameter (Manage-tab, Project Parameters) - shared parameter select {"myParameter"] - Group parameter under: ["Dimensions"] - choose a (random) Catagory ["Roads"] - [OK] - [OK] The parameter is now displayed under parametergroup "Dimensions" (for ALL families). Even if you delete the project parameter you've just created, the parameter will remain under "Dimensions".
Message 11 of 12
ADuquet
in reply to: FAIR59

@FAIR59 Wow, just read your thread. I think my hair just got to grow again! Just tried that and it works perfectly! 

I know it is 5 years later but a BIG thank to you.  

Message 12 of 12

2021-11-19_09-15-24.png

In my experience with this shared parameter issue that land in "unwanted" group or the family still carries the "old" shared parameter name, even-dough you have renamed it in the shared parameters Revit tool, these are my suggested solutions.

1. For family loaded shared parameters falling under an "unwanted" category when loading them into your project, you can use the project parameter tool to re-assign the desired parameter group.

2. For the shared params. that you have renamed and the family still carries out the "original" param. name, in my opinion the only solution is to "delete" the parameters from the shared parameter tool and also from the family itself. Then create that parameter again and re-assign it to the family. ...Yes.... it is a pain but is the only solution to this problem.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report