Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARALLEL REVIT FILES FOR CITY CHANGES VS. OWNERS CHANGES

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CADFLL
245 Views, 2 Replies

PARALLEL REVIT FILES FOR CITY CHANGES VS. OWNERS CHANGES

I just finished a very large project with multiple phases, floors, sections, etc. It is now going into the city for permit review. Due to lack of informaiton the project went out with some assumptions that will need to be revised and resubmitted to the owner and contractors for bid while the plans are in the city for review.

I will end up having 2 revisions before the job is finalized. One for the city which must be resubmitted and one for the contractors for updating pricing.

Historically, with autocad I have ran two folders with the job in each one, made changes as needed then eventually merged everthing later for a complete updated set. Sometimes, we just changes the the permit set as we went along, but these changes usually cause a re-review of the permit revisions and the owners changes by the city that delays the project.

My question: Can you run parallel files and make changes on two models and then merge them together at a later date via cut and paste? I imagine the model would not be as friendly to work with as just plan autocad files.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: CADFLL

@CADFLL wrote:

"My question: Can you run parallel files and make changes on two models and then merge them together at a later date via cut and paste? I imagine the model would not be as friendly to work with as just plan autocad files."

Yes, you can copy/paste elements between Projects. But since you've described the Project and very large, this may prove a bit cumbersome as you would have to have both Projects open at once, and toggle between them. Maybe opening one in a second session of Revit would work.

Just a thought: have you considered using Design Options? That way, everything would be kept in the same Project file. The downside would be that you would have to create new Views and Sheets that would be different for the other set. Or perhaps change each View's Design Option before printing. Also, if you're already employing Design Options, this method might be a nightmare.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3

Possibly use worksets or a project parameter with a filter applied to views on sheets separating out the different information between the city plans and the contractor's documentation?

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report