Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel Schedules w/ Calculated Values crashing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
casquatch
905 Views, 3 Replies

Panel Schedules w/ Calculated Values crashing

I've browsed the interwebs and haven't run into an issue like this (so far)   . I'll try and explain as best I can.

We are currently working on an electrical circuits schedule that will give us various information as well as allow us to do some wire sizing (since Revit's doesn't quite cut it). We are then pulling the wire sizing information into a panel schedule via calculated values. This method works perfectly in the model it is created in, which is great. We run through the circuits in the circuit schedule, add some to the multipliers if a wire is undersized and the panel reflects this new information.

Here's where things start to go wrong. After we transfer the panel schedules into another project as soon as we apply the new template to a panel, Revit crashes.

I will copy the electrical circuit schedule into the new project first, then do a "transfer project standards" to bring in the panel schedule. No issues there, but once the template is applied to a panel it will crash.

Here is what I have tried so far:

-All parameters that are shared from the schedule to the panel schedule template are "Shared Parameters".

-There are two calc'd values that are causing issues, I have removed each one individually and still crashed with only one in place. So it isn't just one causing an issue. Seems to be either.

-I have tried this in a blank template (company, not OOB) as well as a project that is currently in progress (with multiple panels/circuits, etc.).

Here's what I have found out/conclusions that I've come to:

-I believe there is a limit to the amount of characters you can have for the calc'd values as I was running into issues getting the calc'd value to work at all. I shortened the formula as much as possible by adjusting parameters and was able to get them into the panel schedule template without issue.

-From all indication, Revit is not allowing a parameter in a panel schedule template to be pulled from a value in the circuit schedule.

Here's some info on the formulas being used:

For the Hot Conductor wire size in the schedule, the only custom parameter here is the "W", it was tested with multiple different variations of parameter name, finally left to "W" for shortness in the formula. The "W" is tied to the circuit schedule and is used as a multiplier to up the wire size if needed:

Calc value: "H Cond"

if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 16.1, "#12", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 24.1, "#10", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 40.1, "#8", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 55.1, "#6", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 70.1, "#4", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 100.1, "#3", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 115.1, "#2", if(Apparent Current / 1 A + W < 130.1, "#1", "  "))))))))

For the Ground wire size in the schedule, the only custom parameter here is the "GND Multiplier". The "GND Multiplier" is tied to the circuit schedule and is used as a multiplier to up the wire size if needed:

Calc Value: "EGCOND"

if(Rating / 1 A + (0 + GND Multiplier) < 21 A / 1 A, "#12", if(Rating / 1 A + (0 + GND Multiplier) < 61 A / 1 A, "#10", if(Rating / 1 A + (0 + GND Multiplier) < 101 A / 1 A, "#8", if(Rating / 1 A + (0 + GND Multiplier) < 201 A / 1 A, "#6", " "))))

I'm not sure if any other code info is needed. Maybe my assumptions are true and it is not possible to pull information from a schedule into a custom panel schedule.

Things I have yet to try, but plan to once I have time:

-Start a new panel schedule entirely from the 2014 OOB panel schedules

-Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!! Let me know if you have any other questions on the methods of our madness.

Casey

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: casquatch

Sorry for the large delay of response here...

I've seen a lot of instability in the past regarding Panel Schedules, a few instances of which I've posted here. I ended up completely restarting the Panel Schedule again. In this case, I'm not certain that's what's happening. I would suggest opening a Support Case, since it's producing errors.

In regards to the Calculated Value in Panel Schedule Templates, there is an apparent limit of 399 characters. Any more than that, it fails, as if the additional characters to the formula are cut off. When I was first creating our templates here, I was originally going this route, and I hit the same limitation. So, I ended up creating complex Electrical Circuit Schedules that would light up red (Conditional Formatting) if an error was detected in an Electrical Circuit. The Calculated Values in Schedules do not have such a character limit (one of mine is 3,716 characters). Unfortunately, this couldn't really be used to compare the wire sizes since Text values don't jive well with formulas (as conditional statements) and you cannot compare two fields with conditional formatting, and this required someone to routinely check the Schedule for errors.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
casquatch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah, actually a day after I poseted this, they "escalated" it. So I'm assuming they are looking into it. Haven't heard back yet though.

The weird thing about this though is that it works great in the project it was made in, but when transferred to another project, it crashes.

We have the same setup with the circuit schedule, but we thought it might be useful to tie some information from the schedule to the panels.

Message 4 of 4
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: casquatch

To help the community get a better idea of what is happening, would it be possible to post a small sample file (a file with just the panel and a few circuits)?

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report