Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package unit Spring

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
chunky2k
2163 Views, 12 Replies

Package unit Spring

Dear all

i have a package unit on the roof, and on the concrete foundation i shall place the package units on spring support to hold the weight

(please picture attached)

am not really great in modeling but i need an advice (step by step) or if any one can send me the family file for the the spring

plese check the attached file and let me know if it is can be done on revit or no ?

best regards 

Variable Integrated Package L.L.C
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
RickGraham
in reply to: chunky2k

Life is too short to be modeling the spring unless you are specifically told to do otherwise. We  (or I) show *representations* of the units. I love getting manufacturer models and striping away bolts and other unnecessary stuff just to show their rootop unit. Having said that, the spring *can* be modeled. I'd use the sweep extrusion myself.

Rick

Rick

Message 3 of 13
chunky2k
in reply to: RickGraham

well i know it is a hell making it
but as we all can agree the details would be such great thing if it is done

thanks for the infor Rick...
Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

FIrst off - what do you want/need from this Family? Would it have to be parametric (change sizes)? Is it going to be scheduled as an individual component? Is this a general representation or are the details/dimensions crucial? We need to determine the criteria in which this family will be created.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
chunky2k
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for coming

well what i need exactly is to show them the shape of it
it is about 10 CM height only and 4 CM width and 4 depth
size not to be changed at all, and it wont be in any schedule/table or even no detail/or data for it

best regards
Message 6 of 13
RickGraham

Sorry if I came off a bit rough. When I am tasked to go to XYZ manufacturer website to get their revit family, we find it to be overloaded.

If we step back to look at the overall goal - that is of showing a *representation* of the product that we are specifying on our drawings, then things such as:

• nuts/bolts
  • extra detailed framing members
  • manufacturer logos on equipment
  • manufacturer extra added in parametrics that we really don't care about

All these things make the family "heavy" and can sometimes weigh in larger than the actual project we are working on. Again, recognizing that the piece of whatever we are modeling is what *we* spec, doesn't necessarily mean that that will be the piece of equipment that will end up on the finished project. As long as the manufacturer holds to our designed parameters, their unit may be a totally different shape.

This is why I am a HUGE proponent of generic equipment. Just something to show to the architect. 9 times out of 10, the BIM will go no further than the architect, so the client will not be doing elaborate flythroughs so that one can see the intricate details of the model. Rather, a box to the dimensions that we specify, if it has some sort of economizer on it, etc. will do the trick for us.

And if the equipment is to be out of sight (concealed in ceiling, plenum, attic, etc.), then it is even more generic. At the end of the day, if we engineer and design the unit to work under the tolerances specified on our schedules, including duct opening sizes, pipe sizes, etc. - if we have done all of this, then we, in my opinion have done our due diligence.

If you are wanting the spring for a detail, I've not seen 3D details. If you are working for a manufacturer, then please take the comments above as constructive and consider making changes. I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to "heavy model" concerns. if you *truly* need to show that sort of thing (which I said in my previous post it can be done), Google it and you'll find people as far back as release 9 Revit asking that exact same question. But I would consider using a program such as Inventor, where it is second nature to design a spring and will take 1/16 of the time it would take to model it in Revit. (my opinion). And we all know that time is money.

Off my soapbox.

Rick

Message 7 of 13
CoreyDaun

Two more questions: #1: how versed are you on Family creation and #2: what version of Revit are you using?

This shouldn't be too difficult - aside from the spring, of course. Smiley Happy I'm not entirely certain how to go about making a "true" spring in Revit, but I've made "reasonable Facsimiles thereof" a couple of times which only takes a couple minutes. Upon close inspection (in 3D), the imperfection may be noticed. If you're interested, I can post a short video. But I would also say to consider Rick's advice - not all details are necessary and over-detailing will only prove to bog down the Family and bloat its file size. One spring shouldn't matter terribly, though.

Spring.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 13
chunky2k

That spring looks great
well am suing 2013 for now, am ok with family creation
what i was planning to do exactly is
create and extrusion , place the spring on the extrusion , then create another extrusion on the top of the spring

not that fancy but consultants like to see small details :S

Message 9 of 13
chunky2k
in reply to: RickGraham

well Rick
to be honest i have a little OCD of making things looks good, so while am planning to make the section, i wont be happy of making just extrusion and some blend and then call it a spring of vibration isolator, and since the details page always came with fully details (which am pretty sure it has been done on normal autocad, as it is only lines) so i wont take for granted that highly profile consultants would accept vibration isolator unless they see it with spring looking

that is the problem 🙂

regards
Message 10 of 13
CoreyDaun

See Chronicle Video below. Note that at the end, you can easily see the imperfection when the spring is spun, but otherwise it should be pretty unnoticeable. I would recommend using Reference Planes to host the various extrusions (other than the spring). You can either create the spring as a nested Family or draw a Reference Line at the top, bottom, and/or center of the spring and create a Group, so it can be controlled and constrained, if need be.

Message 11 of 13
danielkazado

It may be helpfull the below link have some spring family from the manufacturer. One of the *.jpg is attached.

http://www.kineticsnoise.com/autocad.html

Daniel Kazado

Please use Accept as Solution if your question is answered.
You may Give Kudos if the answer is helpful.
Message 12 of 13
chunky2k
in reply to: danielkazado

i already got them around an hour ago;
but it is better for me to create my own 🙂
Message 13 of 13
Kerkeni

the spring must be created from ellipsis not from cercles, you must see a circle when the spring is projected on floor.
you can get inspired by this real spring shown in this video, it's really a real metal spring

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report