Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oval offset not working?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
319 Views, 5 Replies

Oval offset not working?

I have spent several hours trying to connect an Oval duct transition to a linear diffuser with a connection on the negative Z-axis.  Do I need to place the diffuser in the vertical and connect the transition and then rotate to horizontal?  I am fairly new to revit MEP, I know Revit Architecture but that does not have any of the MEP stuff in it.  I think I am doing it right; pick the transition > try to place it on the diffuser oval connection (in the vertical, the opening faces the ceiling) on to the diffuser opening but they never connect. 

What am I missing in this situation?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Anonymous

I struggled with a similar issue for round ellbow connected to a diffuser. What helps is to have a 3D-view open next to your floor/ceiling view to navigate.

I attached my ellbow in ceiling view (so I see the diffuser connectors) and then you can pikc it and rotate. The rotate buttons only work in 90°, but you can rotate any angle with the rotate tool.

I found it hard to select the ellbow once installed since it is smaller than my diffuser, so you want to rotate when you place it.

I'm not sure if this applies to your oval transition... transition to what, rectanglular? Is the linear diffuser oval, or do you use oval duct?

hope this helps.

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I was trying to attach an oval to round transition, the oval end attaches to the slot diffuser and the other to the system.

Did you ever have a problem with the elevation / section views not being consistent with the plan view?  What I am seeing is the elevation and section show that the slot diffuser is installed with the duct opening up and the plan view shows that the duct opening facing down.  Could there be something there? 

I just had a problem with a VAV box, I inserted it into the model and I could not connect an end cap to fool the system so I do not get the open connection error.  I worked on connecting the end cap to the VAV box, but did not get it to connect.  I just added a 12" section of duct and everything is fine.  Wierd...

Why can you not connect anything in the 3D view?

Message 4 of 6
HVAC-Novice

since you mention section/eelvation view... thsoe really can be misleading too. the best way is to have a 3D view open along with either section/ceiling/floor plan. Even 3D alone really is misleading and some things look to be behind soemthing if they are not...  so you want both views open. you very easily insert a fitting 10'away from where you think you do. Before I used the 3D view, I created zig-zag layouts. Also pay attention to the offset height of the duct/fitting. Soem jsut start out at 0-elevation, which isn't necessarily visible in either view.

Follow the wiki guidelines and create the system first (each VAV and its downstream diffiusers one system). then take a difuser and click on that oficial connector to create the duc, once that is selected you can select a fitting etc (under "systems" tab)

whne you start laying out ducts there are tabs with "inherit elevation, inherit size etc. to help you to actually connect. it isn't necessarily stright forward and iw as hoping it woudl be abit smarter, but once you get some practice and you pay attention to the tools, it works reasonably well.

The automatic layout tool is lacking skills, even on the few occasions it actually can create a layout, it never gets the fittins right etc. (maybe I just didn't understand it yet, though).

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I did as you suggested and I checked the 3D view of the model and they are connected on the top of the duffuser just as desired. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 6
HVAC-Novice

Glad it worked... the 3D view is the single best advice that is on the Wiki. Same will apply to pipes etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report