Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of the box generic pipe elbows

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Sandleaz
2027 Views, 3 Replies

out of the box generic pipe elbows

Perhaps someone can explain to me on why the out of the box generic welded elbows aren't as customizable as they should be?  If the elbow is 90 degrees, it appears to be a short radius elbow.  However, if the elbow is acute (less than 90 degrees), the elbow has a longer turn radius.  It also appears to have a varying turn radius as the angle changes --- which I don't really understand.  I've had to copy/paste/modify the out of the box family to get elbows with a turn radius that can be controlled by user (instance parameter) and change a few other parameters.

It's not something new, but I've never really understood this.

Comparison.jpg

OOTB Family.jpg

Modified Family.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sforsberg215
in reply to: Sandleaz

Architects designed the mechanical systems and the various bits and pieces. The why I have never understood, either. Sent from my iPad
Message 3 of 4
RandMan
in reply to: sforsberg215

I posted something similar to this, a few weeks ago.  I noticed some of the PVC drain elbows had a different sweep at certain sizes.  The problem is in the out-of-the-box look-up tables.  I had suspected that other families had this problem as well.  I had to modify the look-up table and distribute that to my users.  That complicates the software mantenance process.  I will have to look into your solution. 

Message 4 of 4
Sandleaz
in reply to: RandMan

The problem is in the out-of-the-box look-up tables.  I had suspected that other families had this problem as well.  I had to modify the look-up table and distribute that to my users.

I am not sure it's the data in the look up tables that is incorrect --- or at least that's not the only thing.  The fitting outer diameter values in the look up table are close to REVIT's default values for a schedule 40 carbon steel pipe.  The formula for the turning radius varies with the angle.  This occurs with the default pvc elbow as well.

x-look up table comparison.jpg 

x-schedule 40 carbon steel.jpg

x-socketed pvc elbow.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report