Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One line diagrams

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
BMART
6400 Views, 15 Replies

One line diagrams

Has anyone figured out a way to creat one line diagrams (riser diagrams)?
What would be the best way to create them in Revit or should I create them
in Autocad and convert them into Revit?
Thanks

Brian Martin
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Scheeser Buckley Mayfield LLC
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ekuz
in reply to: BMART

Until recently, we had been doing our single line diagrams in AutoCAD. Once upon a time, we were maintaining two title blocks and printing direct from ACAD. As we progressed, we found it easy enough to bring those single lines across into Revit, thus sparing us updating two title blocks, creating dummy sheets for drawing lists, etc.

Now that our folks are comfortable with the program, we have now converted most of our single line blocks to Revit annotations, and are developing the single lines directly in Revit.

All three approaches have been successful, and it's really a question of what's most important to you.
Message 3 of 16
dennis

My recommendation is to do any diagraming in AutoCAD MEP. AMEP has the schematic diagraming tools for all disciplines. Once you create them in AMEP, you can bring them into the RMEP project. If you link, then you can update in AutoCAD, if you embed, then you can edit within Revit.
Message 4 of 16
BMART

Thanks for the info. Dennis when you link it in is there a way to make the lines come in dark
because right now they come in light?
Thank you
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Message 5 of 16
ekuz

go into your view properties and change the Discipline to "Coordination"

it seems revit thinks arch backgrounds are the only conceivable reason you would import CAD.

silly revit
Message 6 of 16
Jarom05

You would think that a big software company like Autodesk could come up with a way to have Revit create one-line diagrams. There are other companies that do not even develop software that have figured this out. Maybe Autodesk could coordinate with them. It would be really nice to see this implemented into Revit MEP. Catipillar has one for generator layout. Edited by: Jarom05 on Apr 15, 2009 7:44 AM
Message 7 of 16
BMART

Thank you ekuz.
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Message 8 of 16
bcaudill

Has anyone made any head-way with Single-Line risers in REVIT?

What I've done thus far is created annotation families of the content needed for the single-line with labels to help populate the information. One of the things I noticed right away was that REVIT doesn't allow annotations to have snap capabilities except for the insertion point. Which is crucial with single-line. So, in REVIT in order to accomplish this, I created a grid of reference lines to use as a template for single-lines. This atleast now gives us some sort of formatting when drawing in the template. The families themselves are simple annotation families with family types controlled by yes/no parameters. This made it easy to expand the family in the project browser and drag and drop symbols into the view. It's not a perfect solution, but the concept seems to work. Not sure if this is the best solution, but I was looking for a way to keep the # of families down and create a system in which is easy to bring in symbols.

Here are the problems:

1. I tried detail components as well. Detail components provided me with the ability to snap anywhere on the symbol but (a) they can't be scaled and (b) they don't have the ability to add labels. Labels are important so the user can quickly add the necessary information to the symbol.

2. The annotation text or label will not remain readable if the symbol is rotated. Obviously VERY important that text remains readable. I'm assuming this is because the annotation has no hosting element. So, it doesn't know which way is readable.

Any other thoughts? Ideas? Edited by: bcaudill@cannondesign.com on Nov 11, 2009 1:43 PM
Message 9 of 16
cardinals&gold
in reply to: bcaudill

so even revit 2011 cannot create single line diagram?

Message 10 of 16
amaddox
in reply to: cardinals&gold

Doesnt even seem that 2013 can.

Message 11 of 16
tkendrick

Make sure you all ask Autodesk to add this feature. The one-line is already created in the background, just look at your System Browser. That's your one-line diagram. Should be simple enough to get that out graphically into a Drafting View or similar.

I've created Revit annotation symbols so I could use labels to create a one-line.

Use this link to tell Autodesk what features you need:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
Message 12 of 16
gjpete69
in reply to: amaddox

We're up to 2016 now and they still don't have this feature included.  I'm familiarizing myself with the API (was a programmer in a former life) and going to attempt to pull the circuiting information from the database to get some sort of auto-generated one-line.  Surely someone has done or attempted this by now.

Message 13 of 16
tkendrick
in reply to: gjpete69

That's great to hear! We need more people like this, with programming background, working in the AEC industry. This is possible via API, I've seen a YouTube video of a screencast showing someone's custom solution. I've never been able to find a place to purchase this from that place.

DesignMaster is another tool out there which has a Revit add-in that will create a one-line diagram based on the project parameters. Actually I take that back. Just double-checked Design Master, they are apparently still working on the One-Line Diagram feature.

----
Message 14 of 16
David_Robison
in reply to: tkendrick

We did eventually finish that one-line diagram tool for Revit. More info and a video here:

http://www.designmaster.biz/revit/one-line-riser-diagram.html

Message 15 of 16
kadmonkee

I converted all of our AutoCAD blocks into Revit Families.

generic Annotative families where only symbols are needed

i can place them in my drafting view to layout the One Line diagram or Riser Diagram

it is part of the model and removes having to deal with any formatting issues linking AutoCAD into Revit

IMHO the more you keep Revit Native the better the project turns out.

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 16 of 16
tkendrick
in reply to: David_Robison

With the DesignMaster tool complete, I may need to check out a trial version now. Not having a built-in one-line tool has been a burden. I've come up and found other "work-arounds" to make it somewhat easier, various schedules in the project. I got a Dynamo script to work on the labelling of the equipment, based on naming the symbols first. 

More recently I found someone suggested and made a TAG with all the data in it from Labels, and they used a section view with everything else hidden. They suggested you could edit the TAG graphics if you wanted more symbols. I used this idea as a check for a one-line diagram on a project recently. Huge benefit to having "live" data.

----

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report