Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omni Class Numbers

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
radams
12904 Views, 18 Replies

Omni Class Numbers

I have a Gas & Diesl Generator Set. Want to provide the appropriate OmniClass Number and Title.

OmniClass Table 23 indicates the number should be 23-35.11.15.

Revit inidcates the number should be 23-80.10.11.

Please help explain how to resolve this type of discrepancy.

Additionally, how do you add numbers and title that are not currently available within Revit.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
CoreyDaun
in reply to: radams

You can edit the file shown below to modify and add OmniClass Numbers and Titles as required.

C: \ Program Files \ Autodesk \ Revit MEP 2012 \ OmniClassTaxonomy.txt

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 19
radams

Thanks. FIle location appears to be "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit MEP 2010\Program"

Do you know the reason for the discrepancy with the Omniclass Numbers?

Message 4 of 19
CoreyDaun

I am not very familiar with this, but I've seen mention of the OmniClass numbers being wrong in Revit, but I don't know much else.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 19
al.armiger

There is a link here : https://getsatisfaction.com/seek/topics/omniclass_coding_disparity

that discusses this, apparently the codes are based on an old draft version. We may find that to many libraries now have the wrong codes embedded in them to allow for the change of the provided txt files.

If Autodesk is listening perhaps they should build an update function into the supplied update families script. This function could remap the current codes to the latest omniclass codes? It may have to be a second parameter gets added as there will be users out there with code based around the current parameter and values.

Someone out there may have a good solution to this if so am all ears on this one as the current option of using defunct numbers has no relevance in a "BIM" authoring software. IMO

Or am I just missing the point?

Message 6 of 19
pixldust

PLEASE HELP

In the OmniClasstaxonomy.txt file there are a series of numbers after the text description such as:

23.85.80.11.24 Environmental Controls 4 -2001140
23.85.80.11.27 Lighting Controls 4 -2008087

In order to update to 2010 OmniClass... what significance do these numbers represent and what do you recommend to do to handle this.. re updating?

I will attach the txt file for your review. for you

Message 7 of 19
al.armiger
in reply to: pixldust

The first number, as in the 4 in this case, shows the depth of the classification beyond the top of table 23:

e.g. 23.10 is 1, 23.10.05 is 2, 23.10.05.10 is 3, etc

The next number, as in -2000151 refers to the Revit category that is applicable to this sort of element.

-2000151 = Generic models

-2000011 = Walls

I am unaware of any reference detailing this list of numbers and corresponding categorys but if you leave it blank it shouldn't cause issues, even with the incorrect value to the actual family category there seems to be no issues in some very limited testing.

Message 8 of 19
pixldust
in reply to: al.armiger

I got my hands on a 2010 omniclasstaxonomy.txt file and it does not work..... the description does not show in revit 12 or 11

Can anyone tech it and find out why?

The negative numbers do not exist

Thanks guys!!

Steven

Message 9 of 19
al.armiger
in reply to: pixldust

Pixidust,

Are you replacing the correct file?

I replaced the file in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2013 with the file from your link and it works fine in Revit 2013. Attached image shows your OmniClassTaxonomy.txt file within Revit.

Note if you are using this file and any Revit families that referenced the original file there will be no Omniclass title as there is no corresponding Omniclass number.

Regards,

Al

Message 10 of 19
cve60069
in reply to: al.armiger

Hello

I have just read the above debate and am trying to classify my own omniclass numbers.

Would it not be possible to write a program that would read the csv of the omniclass spreadsheet and write it into a Revit format; or maybe have a second omniclass 'lookup' as an add-in.  You could have two omniclass files. The one Revit needs to classify walls and the 'proper' one.  If a disparity is found, then the addin could update the Revit file.

How much did this software cost?

Message 11 of 19
phillip.mcneill
in reply to: cve60069

Ok so 10 months late but....

This is a cool app http://boostyourbim.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/omniclass-api-app-to-create-set-shared-type-parameters/... but still uses the in-built taxonomy. I've built this a and a similar Revit app while back (http://www.redbike.com.au/tools/omniclass.aspx) with copy/paste capability which uses a self created database of Table 13 (Spaces) and Table 23 (Products). See what you think.

Creating an app like you suggest would be difficult since there is no reliable comparison, e.g. the number is definately different and the title structure might be different. Worth a look tho!

Cheers

Message 12 of 19

Tool Looks good. Do you have it on the exchange? These OmniClass version discrepancies are a pain.
Message 13 of 19

Thanks, not in Exchange yet but is available as a free Revit app in store - http://www.redbike.com.au/store/shopquery.asp?catalogid=38

Message 14 of 19
g_bardales

Hi,
I have one question.
Im trying to change the OMNIclassTaxonomi.txt in revit 2014; but i can not find the path o change it to the newest vertion of OMNIclass list.
What could be the problem or what can i do to change the OMNIclass list?.

Message 15 of 19
mtreale69
in reply to: g_bardales

Try searching for it in the following folder, C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\UserDataCache.

Message 16 of 19
davebillion
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Where would I edit the omniclass numbers for Revit 2014?

Doing a search for omni* on my C: drive, I found the OmniClassTaxonomy.txt files in Revit MEP 2012 and Revit MEN 2011. 

It appears the Omniclass number for a heat pump is 23.33.00.00, but Revit allows 23.10.00.00 - Site Products or 23.40.00.00 - Equipment and Furnishings.

Message 17 of 19
arcfrdaus2010

Hi, am a masters student of department of architecture, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, presently working on cooling energy efficiency in office complex buildings using vacuum glazing as the material, I want to simulate different components of this material (edge sealing techniques,different sizes of the vacuum and frame types) in Ecotect analysis tool i don't know if that's possible, please I don't know if you can be of any assistance, Thanks  

Message 18 of 19
bcolaprete

Seems like this issue has been an unresolved problem for the past five years.
Autodesk offers a work-around here

But the replacement file they offer has flaws, such as: the numbering format still doesn't match the actual OmniClass, and the parameters for category sorting are missing. The attached file resolves both of these issues. Additionally I have made the text all upper case to align with NCS when that the data appears in schedules and/or tags on drawings.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to download the attachment and follow the installation instructions from Autodesk in the link above.

Message 19 of 19
cve60069
in reply to: bcolaprete

bcolaprete

Thanks for the link.  I am working on my BIM models at the moment and this information will be useful.

Regards Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report