Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbering text

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
9261 Views, 31 Replies

Numbering text

Is there was way to have spacing between the number if you are putting in numbered notes? Right now when we do it it doesn't allow spacing between lines without numbering the space too.

Ex.

Notes:

1.   8' Diffuser

2.   10" diffuser.

3.   12" diffuser

We use spaces for the notes to make it easier to read. Any help would be great.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
julianjameson8403
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes - under the type properties of the text,change the tab size parameter to make the spacing bigger

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous

That only changes the tab setting not the line spacing. The tab is not the issue.  Right now we can't have double spaces between the 1,2,3, ect...

This is standard revit numbering.

1.  Not like this.
  2.  We want spaces between 1 & 2.
  3.  So it is easy to read

What we want.

1.    Like this way.

2.    Makes it cleear to read.

3.    This way is much easier to read.

Right now I can't seem to make out text look likethe second set of numberings.

Message 4 of 32
julianjameson8403

Sorry - in my haste I didn't read your question properly!! But the answer is still yes (to a degree).

You need the subscription Add-ins and use the text generator tool.

Create a word document with the blank lines in between the text lines (can't use paragraph line spacing option unfortunately) and save it somewhere sensible. Using the text generator add-in, you can load the text in a drafting view and then add the drafting view to your sheets.

However, once the text is in the project on the drafting view, you can cut the contents of the text element in the drafting view into a text element on the sheet. You can't just copy and paste the text element from the drafting view onto the sheet.

Not a great workflow and is probably going to be temperamental but should solve you needs. This was done in 2011 by the way and I haven't checked the options in 2012 (as haven't got the text generator for that version installed).

Also found that you can just do your text in Word and copy and paste into the text element in Revit!!

Thank you!
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I guess I will have to convence the uppers to change the standard to no spaces.

Message 6 of 32
CoreyDaun

You should submit your issue with Autodesk Feedback/Support to indicate that such functionality is needed. The more they hear about an issue, the higher the chances that the issue will be addressed (I can only assume).

I would also recommend exploring other avenues other than simple Text Elements, as they are pretty unreliable and sometimes even unstable. Depending upon the consistency of your note blocks, you may be able to use Detail Items in Drafting Views, Keyed Schedules, etc.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous

We have used different ways to work around it. We use to text area, one with numbers and another with the note itself. I will report it to them. thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 32
julianjameson8403

Glad you have found a way to do it. I would however consider doing my notes in word and copy/paste into single text elements in Revit. Whatever works for you best though.

Thank you!
Message 9 of 32
abulla
in reply to: julianjameson8403

Yeah there's a reason that a better Text Editor is #1 on the wishlist for all 3 disciplines of Revit.

Message 10 of 32
Anonymous

There isn't a way to do this in Revit. Don't know why the designers of Revit didn't think of that in the first place. It can be done in Autocad and works good. The best work around is to use a text box with your text and another text box to the left with just the numbers. Drafting in Revit is not like drafting in Autocad. I give kudos to Revit for a lot of things, but it also has slowed my drafting speed down because of various things you can and can't do. Whereas in Autocad, I could almost do things blind-folded. Been using Autocad since 1983.

Message 11 of 32

Any ideas on where to to find it? thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 32
lloydmiller
in reply to: nicesave2000

yes this is very annoying.  I really can't believe that ADesk would let this still be an issue.  Has anyone tried to see if this works in 2015?

Message 13 of 32
luisestevao26

Something to take a look at. It makes text more understandable. I would appreciate to have it fixed. Thanks

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: luisestevao26

Unfathomable, fix this, please!  I can do this in Microsoft notepad, but not the "leading" bim software?

Message 15 of 32
chrisplyler

Um... I'm able to double space notes just as you would expect. Please see the attached image. That's just a single text box and an out-of-the-box text family in the out-of-the-box Architectural template. Am I missing something in this thread?

The only problem is that it's not a numbering system as is available in MSWord, so to get the proper indent for wrapped lines you have to manually tab everything, and as such if you change the text your tabs will be in the wrong place. But you're all saying double spacing can't be done? I don't get it.

xtn

Message 16 of 32
abulla
in reply to: chrisplyler

The problem is with the manual tabs. If you resize the text box, simply select the text, or even look at it wrong, the tabs get shifted and your formatting goes out the window. This is especially infuriating on large blocks of text, like general notes.

Check out this video. I have a nicely formatted block of text here, and all I'm doing is simply selecting the text, then THAT happens. It really is a huge problem that should be addressed as soon as possible. 

http://screencast.com/t/pVisv2upmYh

Message 17 of 32
lloydmiller

Hello Chrisplyer,

Its the point of the automatic numbering not working correctly with double spacing.  The text ability in Revit is very dull for being such and expensive BIM Software.  

We all know you can tab it out.  It's frustrating that this has been an issue and AutoDesk has just let it pass along.  It's time consuming to have to do all the tabbing and adjustments, when you already have it done and simply can past it into a text box.  

And no, its not fixed in 2015

Message 18 of 32
CoreyDaun
in reply to: abulla

Revit text is horrible. Simple as that. That is why I have developed the method detailed below to create consistent note blocks that can be easily transferred from Project to Project. Attached is a sample Project in Revit 2014 format.

The core of this method is to use a Schedule for the note blocks in lieu of plain text. This is accomplished through the use of a specialized Generic Annotation Family and a Note Block (which is a Schedule for a specific Generic Annotation Family).

The Generic Annotation Family contains five Parameters:

1. "Category" (Text) - This is used in the Filter of the Note Block Schedule.

2. "Number" (Text) - This is the note's number, which is used in the Schedule's sorting.

3. "Note" (Text) - This is the text of the note, simple enough.

4. "Omit This Note" (Yes/No) - This is used to exclude a note without actually having to delete it.

5. "Blank End Line" (Yes/No) - This is used to create a gap between the last note and the bottom of the schedule (for aesthetics).

This Note Family is then placed in a Drafting View, of which only one is needed for all notes (but one can divide into multiple Views if needed). The exact placement of these instances is largely irrelevant, so long as the data is correct. See the image in the Spoiler below; note that the notes don't have to be in order.

Spoiler
NotesDraftingView.JPG *The red cross indicates an omitted note. It's a couple red lines tied to the Parameter for a visial indicator.

The Note Block Schedule is created, Filtering by the "Category" and by "Omit This Note" to create the clean Schedule. The Schedule can easily be replicated by duplicating it, renaming the new, and changing the Filter to a different "Category" value.

Our office has adopted this method entirely for [most] notes. These Drafting Views (with all the notes) and Note Block Schedules can be easily transferred from another Project using the "Insert from File" on the Insert tab of the Ribbon.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

@ chrisplyler The double spacing part isn't the problem, it is exactly what abulla shared in his screencapture video. We have general notes strings 20 some numbers long, which we have now split into 3-5 numbers at a time just to avoid headache, but then you delete a number and have to shift the other boxes. I don't even understand how this is a thing, seems like MS DOS style error, should not be a thing in 2015.
The numbering system works great, but you cant put a blank space after each entry...worthless.

CADtastrophe's method is probably the best, however if you want to indent another section (say point a) and point b) under a number, there's no way to tab indents within a schedule that I know of.

Let's hope and pray this is top of their priority list 😃
Message 20 of 32
CoreyDaun

AndreRosteing wrote:
"CADtastrophe's method is probably the best, however if you want to indent another section (say point a) and point b) under a number, there's no way to tab indents within a schedule that I know of."

Unfortunately, the best I can do about that is this; I cannot stagger the actual note text.

TieredNoteBlock.JPG

I've modified the Generic Annotation and the Note Block Schedules to include a "Tiered Note" function. The note instance must be set to "Tiered" under its Properties. The Schedule will read that value instead of the general note number and place it in the second field, there. The down side to this is that since the Note Block Schedules must emply Calculated Values, one cannot change the Note Number in the Schedule View; you have to change it in the Drafting View. Attached is a revised Project file in case it helps anyone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report